Problem in hiding apps

3mors

HampCake Studios
Hi,
when i hide an application on jaguar, it disappears normally, but the icon on the dock remains the same without any trasparency.

Do u know why?

I'm not entirely sure but I think that's just a setting in TinkerTool - not in Mac OS X itself (at least not in the GUI part of it).

You can probably download it at versiontracker.com.

Yep, that is the way it's supposed to be. you can change the plist file for the dock and edit it to show transparent icons. When I get home for lunch I'll check it out and see what you have to add

TransparentDock (i think that's the right app) will do this for you. I like the transparent hidden icons also.

Twister

Sorry, but i hav dl no application to modify my os.
I like mac os x as it is.

I hav done no changes to my dock.

So?

I saw on other macs with Jaguar and I remember that on my OS X 10.1.5 when i hide an app, the icon on the dock becomes quite transparent.

Is it so?

add these two lines to your com.apple.dock plist file, near the bottom

<key>showhidden</key>
<true/>

I added it 8 lines from the bottom after the last <'/array> tag
I now have transparent icons when hidden

Thanx Rhino, but ...

I opened this file and there r a lot of tags. Can u "quote" the part in which I hav to put the command?

Thank you

I try to type:

defaults write com.apple.dock showidden 1

and also

defaults write com.apple.dock showidden 0

but after logout/login the hidden app icons remains the same =(

Oke men I've done.
I read the thread reported by griffman.
I've done in this way:

defaults write com.apple.dock showforeground -boolean YES
defaults write com.apple.dock showhidden -boolean YES

Thanx.

Originally posted by 3mors
Thanx Rhino, but ...

I opened this file and there r a lot of tags. Can u "quote" the part in which I hav to put the command?

Thank you

Sorry about that... I completely forgot that the forum would parse those tags when I posted it.

If there's anybody else wondering what to add this is what you would add after the final <'/array> tag...

<'key>showhidden<'/key>
<'true/>

Without the singe quotes of course

Back