problem playing CDs burned with iTunes

snazz

Registered
hey guys

is anyone having problems playing CD burned with iTunes in car CD players? If i burn the same set of songs with Toast, i have no problems whatsoever, but with iTunes if i try to skip ahead tracks (or back track) the player will hang at the beginning of the track and never actually play it.... or sometimes it starts playing but will pause for a split second (like when you are listening to internet radio and it has to rebuffer). If i burn a CD with Toast, i don't have any of these problems... but i have encountered the same results with different car stereos, which makes me think maybe its an iTunes problem.... its been like this since i started using iTunes...

i use osx 10.1.3 with an QPS QueFire 24x/10x/40x CD-RW ... i haven't tried using other burners, so maybe its the burner... but has anyone else had problems like this.

in my computer and regular stereo, all CDs play fine no matter which program i used.... it only happens in car stereos.

pete

I have a Kenwood stacker in my car and it seems to have no hassles playing iTunes-made CDs.

Thats odd man. The only explaination I can think of, is that the extensions iTunes uses to talk with your CDR is corrupted or not correct. Toast uses it's own 'drivers' to utilize burners so that may explain why it works fine.

As for fixing the problem, I don't have any idea. Maybe reinstall iTunes? O apologize for not having a clue.

:confused:

I've had similar problems with iTunes burned CDs. I don't have Toast*, so I can't verify that those CDs work, but it seems that the CD player itself is the problem. For example, there are a lot of (older) CD players that can't play multi-session CDs.

The iTunes CDs that aren't played properly in one CD player work fine in another. And incidentally, the CD players which play those CDs properly play all iTunes burned CDs just fine.

So even if you haven't tried other burners, try other players. That might make a difference, and you could at least narrow down the problem.

Did you update to iTunes 2.0.4?

* Side note: From what I can tell, Toast costs about $80 -- is it worth it?

Originally posted by nkuvu
From what I can tell, Toast costs about $80 -- is it worth it?
It depends on how often you burn CDs. If you only burn audio cd's, and only burn them occassionally (sp?), iTunes alone should be fine. But Toast gives you a lot more options. I'd say it's definately worth it, but thats just me.

Funny, burning in OS X seems to be dodgy all round.

I can burn only audio CDs from iTunes. Burning any sort of files CDs, from Finder or iTunes (mp3 CD) never actually does anything. It doesn't even make the CDs into coasters, it just never burns a single bit onto the disk.

I'm using a LaCIE USB burner, can't recall off the top of my head what model. Worked fine with Toast and OS 8.6 though. I actually got a pirate copy of Toast, because the 'lite' version included with the burner didn't work worth a darn...

I haven't had any problems burning MP3 CDs from iTunes, and I haven't tried to burn any data CDs from the Finder.

USB burner?? That sounds slow...

Originally posted by nkuvu
USB burner?? That sounds slow...

Oh yes. 4/4/12 or something like that. Except audio CDs always turn to coasters at 4x, you have to burn them at 2x; only data works at 4x (using Toast in OS 9, that is).

This was bought about three or four years ago, when Firewire burners cost about a gajillion dollars. (I have one of the first Macs to have Firewire) I tried an internal IDE one first, I think more like 8/4/24 or so, but Toast didn't support it, so I returned it and got my current one. I should have waited a few months, Toast came out with a driver for it a short while later...

Back