Problem resizing JHFS+ hd w/ diskutil & boot camp to create two new partitions

ransom00

Registered
I'm trying to resize my current JHFS+ drive and create two new partitions to triple boot linux (ubuntu) and windows xp. My system specs are a Macbook 1,1; 1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8 Here is the diskutil list output:

/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *55.9 Gi
disk0 1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS gunton 55.6 Gi disk0s2

(I currently have 28.65 GB free, if that's applicable.)

Here is the output when I try to resize & create the new partitions:

ben@trinity:~> diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 38G "Journaled HFS+" linux 8G "MS-DOS FAT32" windows 0b Started resizing on disk disk0s2 gunton Verifying
Resizing Volume
Adjusting Partitions [ / 0%................................................... ]
Resizing encountered error on disk disk0s2 hdname: No space left on device (28)

I've searched around on google and found some advice. Here are the things I've tried that did not work. Attempted to create an additional partition through bootcamp, which failed with the same error. Next, I tried to simply split the JHFS+ partition into three with diskutil, which the same error.

Most people have said this happens because of defragmentation such that there is not enough sets of continuous free space to resize and create the new partitions. Some have said this is only applicable to system files, but others claim any files can cause this. Basically, I'm still not clear if that is the problem.

One solution for this was to try disk defragmentation, which I did using only a cursory defrag. After doing this, I got the same error.

The other solution I found was to backup the drive, format the JFHS+ partition, reinstall OS X, partition the drive, replace the personal data, and go on with the mostly pointless triple booting I'm trying. The problem is I can't try this, because #1, I have no external hd (perhaps I'll be able to purchase after I get paid in a month, but I probably shouldn't...), #2 I don't have the Leopard install disk. However, I did buy Snow Leopard, which should arrive in the mail later this week.

Any solutions beyond copying/reformating/reinstalling OS X? Or have the other things I've read missed the nature of the error and solution altogether?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of formatting an internal drive three times so just install Linux on and external drive (that is connected to the quickest port on your Mac) and rock & roll.

Back