Problem running external drive AND dv camera simultaneously

jdemler

Registered
I have recently purchased an almost-new 1.8 Ghz dual processor G5 with 1 GB ram and am running Tiger on it. I have 2 external hard drives that I use as backup and, to tell the truth, as my main storage space for most of my files. The first is an older LaCie 60GB firewire 400 drive, the second is just over a year old, a LaCie 500GB Big Disk Extreme with both firewire 400 and 800 capabilities. With my old iMac (I was running OS 9.1 on it), I was able to run both drives simultaneously IN ADDITION TO hooking up my Canon GL2 DV camera via firewire. Everything ran smoothly, I was able to digitize and play back through my camera onto a TV monitor WITHOUT having to disconnect any of my firewire drives. Now, my problem appears to be that I cannot connect the 500GB drive at the same time as my DV camera (regardless of whether or not the other 60 GB drive is connected, I've tried it with and without). I've tried connecting it via both the 400 and 800 ports. I've run all the most recent updates on Tiger and my programs. The programs all freeze up (I've tried Final Cut Pro, iMovie, and Final Cut Express all with the same result) when both are connected and usually display a message saying that it cannot locate the external device. As soon as I unplug either the camera OR the drive, things go back to running smoothly. THE PROBLEM IS THIS: I need to use this larger drive to store my video data, and I don't want to have to copy it back and forth between my internal drive and external drive every time I use it. I want to capture my video directly onto that drive, so I need them running simultaneously. This is the only problem I've ecountered with either the drive or the camera, and all camera settings have been checked and appear to be in order. Help!

Back