Problem running Nokia PC Suite on Parallels

sgould

Registered
My old Nokia Phone is falling to bits. I have used Nokia PC suite to back up the Contacts on it to my old IBM laptop. The laptop has died and i now run any windows only stuff on my MacBook with Parallels 4.0 and Vista Home Premium.

I've installed Nokia PC Suite on Vista but I cannot get it to recognise my phone - a Nokia 6310i. I can pair the phone with the bluetooth directly to MacOS 10.5.7 so the phone side is OK. But when I move to Parallels to run the Nokia PC suite it says "No phone connected". I've tried various configurations and seen lots of options that I don't understand - like lists of ports etc.

Does parallels support Bluetooth or am I wasting my time?

I also have a USB lead that links to the phone. Again PC Suite cannot find the phone. Also it (Vista?) says it has detected new hardware and keeps trying to download software to work with it. I already have Nokia PC suite!!

Is one of the USB connectors COMM1, COMM2, etc?

It's a pity that the Nokia 6310i is one of the phones that is not compatible with synching on the Mac :(

Any advice gratefully received. I don't want to write down 250 contacts and details and then thumb them into a new phone.

The virtual machine doesn't have bluetooth for connection to devices such as head sets or phones, if you're wondering what the difference is with say wireless keyboards and mouse, it's mac os x running the bluetooth connection to those, and windows cannot claim the bluetooth hardware for itself as it is 'in use' by mac os x, there is a way round the problem, you'll need to buy a bluetooth key, not sure if that's the correct term for it, but you can set this up and it becomes a second bluetooth device which you can control via windows.

I'm not sure but i don't think you can access bluetooth in boot camp due to the lack of the proper drivers in the windows software, try that out though as i am not sure...

I had the exact same problem as you i wanted to import all my sms, contacts etc from nokia phone as i was getting it replaced with a new one on guarantee, i ended up just deleting all my info and getting a new phone, as i didn't buy one of those extra bluetooth keys

You can always set your contacts to save onto the sim card and then you'll retreive them on a new phone

Thanks for that.

I have an old D-Link bluetooth USB "dongle". I used it with my old G4 Quicksilver. It's in a drawer somewhere. If I can find it, I'll give it a try.

I don't know whether the MacOSX reserves the bluetooth, but I have no other bluetooth devices in operation.

I was told about the transfer of all the contacts from the phone to the SIM to get it all across to the new phone. I've managed to get them on to an old phone my wife has. But it wasn't that straightforward as both SIM and phone memory were almost full! There was a lot of copying, swapping and deleting going on last night!! :)

Back