problem trying to archive video in idvd

rosiegirl8

Registered
hi,

i just made a video in idvd and burned it to a disc. after that i tried to archive it but i keep getting this error: "alert: there was an error while saving the project."

no files have been moved so that shouldn't be a problem (i burned the dvd right before trying to archive it and that was fine). i'm trying to save it to my WD external drive (formatted for mac). a few months ago i archived a few other videos i made to the same drive and that worked fine.

i did try restarting the computer, too, and that didn't help.

any thoughts?

i posted this thread a year ago and this week i made a different dvd and i'm getting the same error message on a new imac.

any new thoughts on this problem? i really want to be able to archive this dvd.

i posted this thread a year ago and this week i made a different dvd and i'm getting the same error message on a new imac.

any new thoughts on this problem? i really want to be able to archive this dvd.

I could write pages on the difficulties with iDVD. In some places I have. What I do is simply rip the DVD with a program--which will cost money--and save that on an external HD.

--J.D.

or if you want to be like me if you have a Windows computer install DVD Decrypter and use your burned DVD and make it a ISO image using DVD Decrypter than put said ISO on external media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could write pages on the difficulties with iDVD. In some places I have. What I do is simply rip the DVD with a program--which will cost money--and save that on an external HD.

i have no idea how to do this! what program?

well if all else fails you can simply use the DVD u burned make a dmg out of it with Disk Utility and save it that way

would that save it with all the videos and photos in case i change computers one day?

i have no idea how to do this! what program?

There may be free programs, I happened to get ones that are not. Most are designed to . . . well . . . "rip" commercial DVDs which brings us close to limits of the RUL3Z and will summon the attentions of a Moderator [PBUT--Ed.].

Assuming you wish to save your own DVDs you create, you do not need programs that counteract anti-piracy. Though most I am aware of do that. MacDVDRipperPro is one such that does it easily. MactheRipper is another . . . but the owner has gotten a bit . . . "touchy" what with people stealing his program which allows you to steal proprietary DVDs!

would that save it with all the videos and photos in case i change computers one day?

Absolutely provided you use a computer with a similar OS--in other words, a Mac may not read a PC file just as a PC will not read a Mac file.

However . . . much simpler is to obtain an External HD and back up your data on that. You can also back up photos and such on DVDs. The Mac has burning programs native to that--such as Disk Burner. I long ago got Toast so I tend to use that. It has the benefit of copying NON-proprietary DVDs. So, for example, I recently made a DVD of video I shot. Toast will happily--and quickly--make copies of the DVD directly.

--J.D.

Assuming you wish to save your own DVDs you create, you do not need programs that counteract anti-piracy.

oh, yes, the videos are annual photo/videos of my family that i make so totally my own. i back up the videos to an external drive (they're too big to keep on my internal drive anyway) but i was just hoping to have something like the archive function so that all the videos, photos and idvd theme stuff in one place.

Absolutely provided you use a computer with a similar OS--in other words, a Mac may not read a PC file just as a PC will not read a Mac file.

yup, definitely sticking with mac.

thanks!

Back