Problem: uploading and shutting down

clagnut

Registered
i am having a few problems with my mac, i dont know if they are related but here goes.

I have a G5 running 10.4.6 and for the last 6 months i have been having problems uploading files to my mac at the office, either by "Connecting to Server", ichat, vpn, i have even installed hotline and timbuktu and still no joy. Downloading is no problem at all.

When I upload it can freeze at any time from 5k to having uploaded 10mb of a 70mb file, i have only ever successfully uploaded 120k - 500k files and that is very rare. i have even tested the uploads to other people i know with macs and i still have the same problem.

When it freezes the fan starts to goes into overdrive and dont stop.

This also happens when i shut down, but only if i have any external HD attached or i am connected to the internet.

There are 2 ways the Mac crashes when i shut down
1. the monitor turns off (and i cant turn it back on again) but the mac is still running or
2. the mac crashes (i get the button icon on the monitor) and i have to force restart.

if i dont restart, then the fans start up

I hope someone out there can help

cheers

I've just changed my router from a Voyager 105 dsl modem to a Voyager 220v Router and now have an ethernet connection to the internet rather that USB. For the last 4 days the G5 has been behaving itself; not crashing while uploading, shutting down properly and no fan mayhem. I cant believe this is down to a USB connection, but it seems to have solved my problems... fingers crossed

Back