Problem using ProSoft Engineering Data Rescue

gwynarion

I stole the Sun
I have an external FireWire hard drive which I need to try to recover data from. I fell in an icy parking lot a few days ago which resulted in the drive being slammed to the ground. Last night while trying to back up files off of it the drive stopped being readable. I immediately turned to Data Rescue from ProSoft Engineering.

Data Rescue is able to see the drive all right, and finishes scanning all of the files in about two hours. However once it completes the scanning it starts "callibrating"... The software zips along until it gets to the point where it has found 198 files and needs 2 more. It is here that the program locks up completely and goes not further. I have tried scanning the drive at least four times throughout the course of the day and it always freezes at this same point.

Has anyone out there had any expereince using this software and have you ever seen this problem before? Does anyone know what the solution might be? The drive is a Maxtor 541DX 5400RPM 20GB ATA/100. My computer is a G4 533MHz with 512MB RAM, running Mac OS X 10.2.3.

Back