problem w/ .dmg files

levante

Registered
I have a problem with OSX, maybe you can help me. Suddenly I have a problem mounting .dmg files, they open disk copy but do not show up on the desktop. I think something went wrong with disk copy or the way OSX stores the "link" (not even apple updates are recognized). Do you have a suggestion on how to fix the problem?

Is it possible that you changed you view preferences for the desktop so removable volumes are hidden?

no this is still checked and some .dmg are still mounting, but alot of them do not and when I click again I get error 35. When I open disk utility, the missing ones are showing up in disk utility but they are grey.

I have istalled the iPod Update 1.1. Since then, Disk Copy won't open .dmg files any more "The volume you have inserted is unreadable... Continue, Ignore, Eject?"

are you sure you have not deleted a user named nobody in you Netinfo manager ??

Whit os 10.0.4 i had the same problem ... because i'had removed that user thay i think it was unnecessary .... stupid me !!!

Now that you mention it, I think I have. There are "daemon", "www", "root", "smmsp" (and me, of course), but no "nobody". So what do I do? Create a new user "nobody"? What settings/privileges would it need? Do I do that within the NetInfo manager? How did you solve your problem?

Greetings,

joe

my Users Netinfo folder contain these users
daemon
nobody
root
smmsp
unknown
zeus (my account)

nobody user setting
------------------------------------
expire - 0
realname - Unprivileged User
name - nobody
passwd - *
uid - -2
_writers_passwd - nobody
change - 0
shell - /dev/null
home - /dev/null
gid - -2

=========================

unknown user setting
------------------------------------
expire - 0
realname - Unknown User
name - unknown
passwd - *
uid - 99
_writers_passwd - unknown
change - 0
shell - /dev/null
home - /dev/null
gid - 99

=====================================

I think you will have to try to restore tese values .... but at firs back-up all your data ....

let's know if this works!!

Say, you didn't download those from your iDisk? That might cause it. You'll have to download with Goliath or mount it from the iDisk(at least those worked for me)

Back