Problem with Apple Mail and Gmail interface

jackvmh

Registered
We are having a problem with the Apple/Gmail interface. Here is the
situation:
We have 2 MacBooks both running off a wireless DSL connection. One
laptop has OS X.5.6 and Apple Mail 3.5. The other has OS 10.4.11 and
Apple Mail 2.1.3.
I have both laptops set up according to Gmail instructions. We are using IMAP. No
problems with the newer computer, but on the older one running Mail
2.1.3 MOST but not all of the incoming mail does not show up in the
Mail inbox. It does show up in the Gmail "All Mail" box but that is
inconvenient and not the way it should be working. We need all
incoming mail to show up in the regular Apple Mail inbox.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening, and ideas
as to how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you very much in advance!!!

have you tried to resetup the account?try the following. First rebuild mail if its already setup. Click mailbox>rebuild this takes a while and requires you to have an internet connection. if this does not fix your issue do the following.
1.go to /Users/Library/Preferences/ and look for com.apple.mail.plist and move it to the desktop but make sure when your doing this Apple Mail is quit. Once completed, 2. relaunch mail then resetup your Mail account according to Gmail's instructions. You can google the setup alot of site has list down the instructions.

Let us know if that helps

Thanks for your reply, kisuke3. I tried both suggestions but they did not seem to make any difference. Do you (or anyone) have any other suggestions?

hmmm tricky indeed.So your saying that the incoming mail does not show in your 10.4 macbook?ok try this. Don't open your 10.5 macbook just quit mail there. Send a test mail to yourself using the 10.4 mail then wait for it see if it arrives. Oh btw make sure to click on the button try toggling with READ/UNREAD button, if its not in the toolbar then do this. Click view from the menu bar(top)then choose customize toolbar then add READ/UNREAD buttons.

The strange part is that SOME mail does come in to the Apple Mail inbox, but not all. I have tried test messages and they come in to the proper place on both computers. I had suspected that the problem might be once the mail was downloaded into one of the two computers that when the second one's Mail program was opened Gmail might not download it a second time, but that theory did not work out. Test messages came through properly to both Mail programs. It is an erratic problem where some messages, but not all, are not appearing on the OS X.4 Mail inbox.

try the following hopefully we can come up with something
1. test with other account(create another account on the 10.4 and set it up there)duplicate the problem
2. if that fails you may need to archive and install or erase and install w/c ever you prefer. A complete installation might be imperative in your case

The strange part is that SOME mail does come in to the Apple Mail inbox, but not all. I have tried test messages and they come in to the proper place on both computers. I had suspected that the problem might be once the mail was downloaded into one of the two computers that when the second one's Mail program was opened Gmail might not download it a second time, but that theory did not work out. Test messages came through properly to both Mail programs. It is an erratic problem where some messages, but not all, are not appearing on the OS X.4 Mail inbox.

I wold also double check your Gmail settings to be sure there isn't a conflict there as well.

Dan

Back