problem with apps disappearing...

erikocc

Registered
this is crazy, and it's finally to the point where i care...
~running 10.5.2 on mac pro~
awhile back I noticed that somehow Word was deleted. and when i say deleted, i mean; deleted. its gone. spotlight cannot find it. whatever, i could care less, i prefer pages to it, all I really use is excel from office 2004. so i let it go.
then something else went missing last week, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was... it was real important as you can tell.
now, today I tried to fire up Illustrator from CS, and it gave me the stupid question mark... dangit what the heck. so I went to apps/adobe illustrator, and the folder was there with the typical stuff still in it, but the application itself was gone!

so, i need some help.. what is making this happen? i'm not stupid enough to delete an app, so give your best suggestions.

thanks guys!
Erik

Last edited:
oh, i wanted to add:
-no one else has access to my system
-my hard drive is less than 40% full
-i've used illustrator many times since I installed a clean copy of 10.5 last november

I use appfresh to keep my apps updated.. any chance that could delete the app if it screws up an update or something?

I wouldn't use a "development preview" to update my applications.

Please note: AppFresh is still work in progress and released as a Development Preview. We cannot assure that AppFresh is working correctly on every setup. Although installing applications using AppFresh has been heavily tested, please make sure to have a working backup.

They also note that is has been tested with Tiger but "should" work with Leopard.

You could try to track it down by seeing if there were any updates to the missing apps. Then again it could have done damage just by checking.

Disable it and see if any further programs disappear.

Hello
I've got the exact same problem, that some apps have disappeared over the last day, I managed to restore some iLife apps by reinstalling them from the installingdisc that you got with the computer. But apps like Photo Booth is still missing, what should I do? I'm not using any program like AppFresh.
I'm on an iMac with Mac OS X 10.5.4.

I appreciate any help I can get! /Erika

Back