Problem with DNS setup

treicher

Registered
Somehow I must have screwed up my DNS setup. Every change I try to make with Server Admin doesn't stick it won't be written to the named.conf file or in the /var/named directory.

How can i start over? (I don't care if I loose the existing data, only a couple entries).

simply delete named.conf and empty /var/named didn't help - it looks like ServerAdmin is looking for some "template"files to be able to configure. But I have no idea where to get these (just a theory)

treicher said:
Somehow I must have screwed up my DNS setup. Every change I try to make with Server Admin doesn't stick it won't be written to the named.conf file or in the /var/named directory.

How can i start over? (I don't care if I loose the existing data, only a couple entries).

simply delete named.conf and empty /var/named didn't help - it looks like ServerAdmin is looking for some "template"files to be able to configure. But I have no idea where to get these (just a theory)

Try to copy the .default files as base file and try if an empty conf file will work. Do you have any files in the map left. Can you give me the content of the named.conf file and a list of the files in the /var/named map ?

Goodluck Kees

I've been having an issue with DNS where I can't resolve names after I reboot the server. According to Server Admin, my DNS service is running, however I get "timed out" messages if I try to lookup the host name for the server's IP. Sometimes I can just restart the DNS service in Server Admin, but other times that won't work, I have to recreate the zone and then start the service. Everything then works fine, until I restart the computer. I wonder if the problem is related.

Any progress with this?

Back