Problem with Dock

baza106

Registered
Can anyone tell me why the toolbar has begun to pause all of a sudden. It never use to do that. now when I'm scrolling over it, it sometimes gets stuck.

Hello! Is your post related to this topic? You might want to start a new topic.

Anyhow, which toolbar are you referring to? Do you mean THE DOCK ?

And how is it getting STUCK ? Do you mean the magnification behavior isn't fluid?

I've moved your posts to this new thread and guessed on the name for the thread. You will have to give more information so someone can reply with solutions. If you're not talking about the Dock then let me know and I'll change the thread title.

Just as an FYI, my Dock used to hang on my iBook when I'd set the Desktop background to change every five seconds. The rest of the machine handled it just fine, but it caused the Dock to hang at random, and it would require me to open the Terminal and type: "killall Dock" to get the Dock restarted. So, if you are doing what I was doing, set it to every fifteen minutes or so, especially if you are running something like an iBook or Mac mini, where your system resources might not be up to the challenge. If this isn't your issue, forget I mentioned it. :D

As a matter of fact, it is the dock. Ive always had my setting for the backround the same. it began to occur after I tried to download something from the internet. I dont have a virus protector, and from what I have read on this forum, that shouldnt be the problem anyway. Any suggestions on how to stop thye dock from pausing. It will usually stay stuck unless I click on the toolbar at the top. (the one with the apple icon) I can pretty much be sure that the the dock will get stuck if I drag the mouse over it while its starting up also. Is that normal? Your responses are greatly appreciated. Im trying to get the hang of this laptop little by little.

simple suggestion, try removing the com.apple.dosck.plist file from Users/your name/Library/Preferences

restart and see what happens.

What do you mean by remove. Do you mean drag the icon to the trash bin! Im not very computer literate. If i do this, will this remove the dock alltogether?

It will not remove the dock. The plist file contains information the system uses. Sometimes these files get corrupt and cause the app to misbehave. After trashing it and restarting the dock, the system will create a new file. Often times this is all that is needed to correct a weird behaving app.

baza106 said:
What do you mean by remove. Do you mean drag the icon to the trash bin! Im not very computer literate. If i do this, will this remove the dock alltogether?
No, the Dock is an application, and it's stored elsewhere. The preference file (plist) mentioned is just the file that the Dock app uses to get it's settings. Once you trash it, it will be recreated the next time the Dock launches (I think it happens at launch time, anyway). Trash it, and then log out and back in again. Actually, you don't even have to log out and then back in, if you don't want to. You can trash the plist file and then open the Terminal application (it's in the Applications/Utilities folder at the root of your hard drive). Once Terminal is running, type "killall Dock" (without the quotes), and the Dock will quit, and then restart. That will save you the trouble of logging out (to quit the Dock) and then logging back in (to launch it again).

See what that does for you, and then report back here with the results.

Back