Problem with G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver 2001 freezing up

avnpro

Registered
Hi there,

I have had this G4 dual 800 computer with no problems for over 5 years. Currently running tiger 10.4.8 with 1.25 GB RAM. A couple of weeks ago the screen started to flicker as well as distortion of background and desktop on the screen. Then the computer began to crash on a regular basis. Although it did run at times for 7-10 hours straight. But know I get the screen that says I need to restart your computer. I get a crash report as well when I can get it to boot to the desktop but can't save it.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my graphics card.

Any feedback or pearls of insight would be great.

Thanks
AVNpro

Have you done the basics?

1. repair permissions
2. restart

If you've done these things then we can do some more advanced fixes to get your system back to normal.

Hi there,

Yes I repaired permissions and restarted. I actually created another boot disk as well. The computer ran great for about 48 hrs and then it started to have problems again.

I appreciate the help.

AVNpro

Also after shutting down and trying to restart, the computer will not turn on and the powerbutton blinks on and off when pushed. After about an hour or so I will be able to turn the computer on again.

Thanks again,
avnpro

In addition to what you have done, do you have an advanced utility like DiskWarrior or TechTools. These can literally clear crap up and get your system running trouble free.
Also, have you created a new account strictly as a troubleshoot account? This way you might narrow down the possible problems.
Finally, just re-install the whole damn thing via Clean/Install or Archive/Install. If you go with the former, zero all data in the Security options of the install CD. If with the latter, when you have a "Previous System" folder, you can painstakingly move things into your new system.
I do like to give my 2001 Quicksliver Dualie 800MHz an enema (above method) from time to time. I backup my user folder to my external and away I go.
Good luck...

Also after shutting down and trying to restart, the computer will not turn on and the powerbutton blinks on and off when pushed. After about an hour or so I will be able to turn the computer on again.

Thanks again,
avnpro

It sure looks like a hardware problem, maybe an overheating problem (usual occurs after a fixed time after a cold start). If not turning on for e.g. an hour, this means it requires time to cool to get started again. In general the problem will occur within a shorter time as after a true cold start (being shutdown overnight e.g.).

If this seems to be the problem, increase cooling the the tower (leaving it open in general is sufficient). If this helps it almost sure is a heat problem and additional cooling is required.

Good luck, Kees

Back