Problem with Install

Greg~NJ

Registered
Hi everyone,

I finally purchased a new adapter for my Macintosh to solve a screen resolution dilema. Now that I have added more RAM, I would like to install Mac OSX 10.2. Now, I decided to insert the CD-ROM and reboot and hold down the 'C' button to boot off the CD. All went fine. Until the screen kicks in and all I see is a cirlce with a line going through it. I can't do anything but reboot. When I reboot, I can go into Mac OS 8.6, no problem. If I try to run the installer under and 8.6 and then reboot, I get the same error.

Any ideas? The Apple Discussion board seems slow and I have few responses as to how I may fix the problem.

Greg~NJ

i dunno, is your mac a supported model for Mac OS X?

Try updating your firmware as well

If the machine you're using is the one in your sig, you're using a pretty old machine. Updating the firmware may help, also try installing OS 9.2(it should come with OS X). Of course, your best bet would be to get a new machine. ;)

Hehe. I really don't have the money right now to buy a new Mac. I'm only 15. :p

How would I go about updating the firmware? And yes, that's the computer I use in my sig. I am going to add RAM and upgrade to a G4 chip this summer when I have a job. :)

Greg

N/M I got it working. Held down Command + Option + P +R to empty the PRAM. The CD-ROM is now working also, which seemed to be the problem.

Well, that's good. Did 10.2 install okay? I hope you can run it well; I'd recommend, if you can, upgrading your RAM, especially with a (relatively) slow system like that (it's faster than this computer, but not by much) as OS X likes RAM much more than 8.6 or even 9.

I ordered half a gig of RAM. (512 megs.) Add that to one stick of 128 to make 640 megs of RAM. Next upgrade will be a G4 450.... :)

I'll upgrade to 10.2 this weekend.

Back