Problem with MSN - or is it just me?

AmieG

Registered
I have MSN with Office 2004 for my new iMac which I bought only last week. When I turn the computer on MSN boots up and tries to sign in but a message pops up saying there is a new version of MSN which I must download in order to continue. I download it. A box opens on my desktop. I double click, and can sign in no probs. Then I shut down when I'm done. When I reboot, the same message about a new version of MSN pops up, and asks me to download a new version again. And so on. Every time I turn the computer on. What am I doing wrong??

Please help!

You need to drag the application file to your application folder/wherever you installed msn, to overwrite to older version.
FYI, Adium is better than Messenger in many ways. www.adiumx.com

It's a common mistake for newbies (and oldies) to download Microsoft Messenger and run it from within the "Disc Image" on the Desktop. This slows everything down and results in the persistent error messages as described.

Drag the Messenger application from the "Disc Image" into (onto) the Applications folder (you'll need your admin password to do this) then drag the "Disc Image" into the trash. Finally, drag the ".dmg" installer file that you downloaded into the trash and empty it.

...Finally, drag the ".dmg" installer file that you downloaded into the trash and empty it.

I usually keep the .dmg in the event that I need to reinstall it. That way it saves me from having to download the application again. ;)

I don't advocate that. In my experience you end up with several installers, none of which is up to date!

Well, I usually delete the older one once the new one comes out and I've downloaded it (I even have a Downloads folder that I've created for that purpose). But if it's the same version that's current, I hold on to the installer in case I want to install it on someone else's Mac or if by chance I'm redoing a computer and I don't have internet access available at the time. Saves me the trouble of having to wait for a connection and then download it. But to each their own... :)

Besides, most applications I use let me know once a new version is out so that way I can update the packages accordingly. :)

Assuming you have a backup drive, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the latest version of each installer around.

It's an *especially* good idea to back up the current version (i.e., the version running on your machine) of each installer for any security, password storage, backup, etc. programs in a separate directory.

For instance, say you use Retrospect 6 to back up your machine. Then your drive crashes, and you go to restore onto a new drive. You can only find a Retrospect 5 installer, because that's what you originally bought and you can't upgrade for free.

That would be too bad, because Retrospect 5 can't read Retrospect 6 cat files. Whoops!

Dont use Microsoft Messenger Microsoft purposely make it really buggy get AMSN It does webcam too :D

:D WELCOME TO THE MAC WORLD :D

Back