Problem with my PowerBook G4

espo

Registered
This is my first post, so HELLO to all and i look forward to posing here in the future, but right now I have a problem

I let my cousin use my powerbook g4 because since I got a MBP and a G5 i dont use the g4 anymore. Well he gave it back to me and now when I turn it on, it goes to a black screen then after awhile it will come up with a little folder with what looks like the os 9 logo and it flashes with a question mark. What is going on?
I do not have my system cd's, I cannot find them. What can I do to get this machine working again?

Thanks in advance!!

It can't find the OS9 system folder. You may have to reinstall it. Is OSX supposed to be installed?

Turn on, or restart, the computer.
Immediately hold the Option [alt] key. After a few seconds, the Startup Manager should appear. The Startup Manager scans for available volumes.
Click the startup volume you want to use.
Click the right arrow button to start up the computer from the volume you selected.

If this procedure fails, you have no readable system folder so you'll have to reinstall it.

When I hold the alt/option button down and push the power button, all that comes up is a box on the left with an arrow in the shape of a circle and a box on the right with an arrow that points to the right.

I do not have the system cd's that came with the computer, so what is my next step? Buy another copy of OS X and install it?

Do you have any other OS cd's at all to boot from? If not, try hooking up to your other Mac. You need access to the drive to see if the system folder is gone and for testing. If the system folder is at least there, you can use disk utility and try to repair it.
You have to start somewhere... :)

Do you have any other OS cd's at all to boot from? If not, try hooking up to your other Mac. You need access to the drive to see if the system folder is gone and for testing. If the system folder is at least there, you can use disk utility and try to repair it.
You have to start somewhere... :)

I have leopard i bought, as well as the system cd's from both my MBP and G5.

How can I hook my G4 up to another mac and access the drives? Like I said in my first post, im not new to OS X but new to any associated problems and fixing them.

Back