Problem with new combo drive on 10.4.4

ShaunRobert

Registered
I replaced the combo drive in my G4 ibook which runs 10.4.4. There was a CD stuck in the drive and when I tried to remove it - I ripped out a bit of rubber. So - I ordered a new drive and installed it yesterday. The original drive was a maschitsa 8123 - the drive I just replaced it with is a maschita 8122. The combo drive is working fine with 2 exceptions. I cannot make a copy of a disk using disk utility. It begins the process and then quits with a message " cannot create a .dmg file - permission denied". The other weird thing is that I cannot create a simple new folder under the File menu - I get a message that " cannot create folder because I don't have enough access privileges". My ibook has worked beautifully and this has just started today - when I tested the new combo drive. I've checked out permissions under disk utility and it all appears in order. I've repaired permissions on my harddrive via disk utility. Help!! could it be an issue with going from an 8123 to an 8122 on 10.4.4. We did not install any software with the new combo drive - it didn't come with any. I went out on the web to find the latest update... but only found informaiton from 2003.

Back