Problem with tarballs (no jokes, please!)

chenly

Moof!
I tarballed a folder with InDesign documents and Photoshop TIFFs in folders in it. The InDesign documents decompressed fine, but the TIFFs are no longer recognized by Photoshop, even after manually changing the extensions and creator codes. Any suggestions?

I don't think that tar retains the resource forks when making an archive.

You can set the files to be opened with whatever application you want by selecting them all and hitting CMD+i. Expand the Open With arrow and select which application you want the files to open with. Only select files of the same type while changing the application that you want them to open with.

I've already done that. Photoshop insists that they're not TIFF files anymore, probably due to the missing resource forks. Any utilities out there for this situation?

Weird. Tiff files should never be saved in resource forks, though they might have resource forks. Can you open them in Preview.app?

-Rob

No, Preview can't open them, either, although the have all their data (they're huge 1200 dpi scans). I'm looking for a text solution, I believe: hacking the TIFF tag(s) with TextEdit (it can handle the big files) to get the file info back to something Photoshop/Preview can understand.

i can't make sence of the TIFF code, can you?

i treid looking for something readable in it with 'strings' and it all looked like greek to me...

Did you use the command line tar? or DropTar from Aladdin? tar from the command line will not keep resource forks unless you tell it too. I've never used DropTar though I have it

...looking for backing up Users thread on the board...

All right you can use the ditto command
sudo ditto -rsrc <path of original> <path of copy>

the -rsrc tells it to copy the resource forks. Maybe there is a way to tar the ditto?

Why don't you just use .sit or .zip?

ColdCompress.app was the compressor; it makes tarballs via drag-and-drop. I haven't had this problem before, but I don't know if I've ever tarballed TIFFs, either. As far as I know, ColdCompress is a GUI for the tar and gzip command lines.

Back