Problem With Video In Classic Environment

nuggit

Registered
I recently uncovered an old game called The Dig by Lucas Arts from 1995. I know it may be too old for my system, but it ran on System 8, so I figure it should run in 9. I'm running OS 10.3.9, and I have System 9.2 for the Classic Environment. When I run the game in the Classic Environment, the sound seems to work okay, but I can't see the graphics. It sets my monitor to 256 colors, which is understandable, and goes to black for a second, but then all I see is my OS X desktop in a strange 256-color palette. It appears that the color palette changes between scenes, too. When I click the mouse, it activates the finder, but I can still hear the sound, and the color palette remains. If type command-q, a window asks me to confirm if I want to quit, and when I choose "yes" it quits and returns my monitor to normal. I've tried changing my monitor size, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The video seems to be the only thing that doesn't function properly. It seems like the OS X or the Dock or something is taking the foreground over the game. If somehow I could force that stuff into the background, I think that might work, but I don't know how. I haven't tried booting up in 9.2, but I'd rather not have to do that every time I play the game anyway. I've got a PowerBook with a 1GHz G4 and 512 MB of RAM.

I'm afraid it is not compatibel with classic. I had similar problems with Discworld, and could not solve it. :(

Classic is pretty much a waste of time. If you want to use old stuff, put an OS 9 installation on your Mac and reboot the computer into it to ensure proper compatibility.

Back