Problem writing to the scratch disk error -36 PLEASE HELP!!!

mattsuzu

Registered
May possibly be hardware but none the less please help me!

Have a g3 B/W tower, clocked at 400mhz, 640mb ram (photoshop set to 80% ram usage) 160gb Western Digital drive, DL DVD Burner, OS 10.4.3

Just recently after a few brush strokes photoshop errors out saying there was an error writing to the scratch disk. (which is the same disk as the OS is on)
P>S what does scratch disk do anyway?

The only way to get over it is to force quit and re-open photoshop, loosing work. Only for it to do it again.

Disk utility tells me my disk needs repair, as:
" Keys out of order
The volume MacHD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit"

However disk utility does not allow me to repair the disk, unless i need to boot off 10.4 disk and do it that way which i will try now.

Anyway, if this is hardware what should i do, and if its not - any ideas???

Please help, i've just biult this machine from spares and i really want it to work as i've already pretty well given my mum my old PC that i built for Graphic Design... So i'm up S#@*T creek without a paddle if nobody has any ideas. Thankyou for your time.
Matt Dean

Okay, after booting up off my Tiger install dvd heres what i get when trying to repair disk...

Keys out of order
Rebuilding catalogue B-tree
Invalid Key Length
Missing thread record id=92792
Missing thread record id=96967
Invalid extent entry
unable to repair disk.....

Also tried a re-install over th etop, however it errored out. I am about to try another install DVD soon to make sure its not just my disk.
Any ideas yet?

Matt,
I'm not sure if this will help you or not but...
Photoshop uses a "scratch disk" as RAM when you don't have enough memory on your computer to do all the stuff that Photoshop needs to do. This includes adding filters as well as keeping copies of your file for the History so that you can go back and undo things.
If at all possible, Photoshop suggests that you don't use your main hard drive as the scratch disk, but it needs to be a fast, internal drive or a RAID. So firewire drives are not a good idea.

If you are having a problem with your main hard drive, that would explain why Photoshop keeps crashing and why you lose all your work.

If Disk Utilities is unable to repair the drive, you might want to try a clean install of your system. There is also a Disk Utility program called Disk Warrior that may or may not be able to help. (It also costs about $80.)

I hope you get your problem solved.

LKT

Back