Problems After "tiger 10.4.2 Upgrade"

ashik

Registered
When opening Safari 2.0,I get a error message.The problem is, it shows (POSIX error: Cannot allocate memory) (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:12)
I even can't get access to internet in any way like Sherlock, macos update etc.
Except Internet Explorer:mac.
What can be the possible easy way to solve this problem? I had upgraded MacOS X 10.4 to MacOS X 10.4.2.

The way I getting connected to internet
---------------------------------------
My windowsXP pc is connected to internet through LAN and is shared with WLAN and I am connecting my Powerbook through Airport Extreme.

I am new to mac, so it would be helpful if you guide me in step by step way.

I bought the Powerbook G4 a month ago.

I know it won't help, but I have exactly the same problem and don't know how to solve it either (also a newby). When connecting with a LAN cable all works well. When connecting through airport I get this error message too. I also browse with firefox but no problems there. Unfortunately widgets don't update either when I'm wireless because they use safari as well.

I had the same error using Software Update (or softwareupdate from the command line). Also iTunes did not start ("kernel protection failure"!). Manually upgrading to 10.4.3 and reparing disk permissions, see link below, did not solve the problem.
After reading this thread and the reply to this I realized it might be network related (all these programs fail upon connecting to the Internet, what happens to be the first thing they do - so Safari must be affected as well when you don't have a blank page as start up, same for other programs using Webkit?).

I did take a look at my network settings and found out that I had left a wrong proxy server setting in there after switching networks (for some reason ignored by Camino, while this browser should use that system setting, it is no Webkit app).
Maybe Apple can improve on error messages for programs using the network ;-)

ashik said:
When opening Safari 2.0,I get a error message.The problem is, it shows (POSIX error: Cannot allocate memory) (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:12)
I even can't get access to internet in any way except Internet Explorer:mac.

A likely cause is a bad value being entered into the Automatic Proxy Configuration URL field.
(This is inside System Preferences->Network->Proxies).

Safari and the rest of the OS honor this field, but IE does not. Thus, if a bad value is in there it will disable the OS' connectivity but IE will continue to function.

First, ensure you need a value in this field. If you do, make sure that the value entered into this field is preceded with an "http://". Unlike Safari, MacOS X will not prepend this header for you.

Hope this helps,
-Kurt

Thank you for pinpointing this problem. My district had recently changed their proxies and I didn't get to every computer to make the change. Your suggestion for a fix was right on target.

Back