Problems copying files from Windows boxes

Tigger

Bring mich zum Licht!
When I connect to a Windows-Server via smb, and start to copy a large file to my HD, my Computer gets really slow.
Just as I type this, I am copying a 2GB file, and the letters apear more than a second later. The mouse cursor moves like it is dropping frames, it gets really hard to hit something. In fact, my computer is totally useless until the copying task is finished

This really sucks! What is the problem here?

Sounds like a RAM problem. How much RAM do you have? Remember OSX is a RAM hog:)

I have seen OSX be slow transfering files with samba, but it never affected my performance. I have a Tibook and 356M of RAM. Very little affects my computer's performance under 10.1.1.

SA

Originally posted by buc99
Sounds like a RAM problem. How much RAM do you have? Remember OSX is a RAM hog:)
Yup, and I got 768 of it...
So that does not seem to be the problem.
I got a B/W G3 450MHz, by the way. Attached via a 10Mbit Hub to the PC.

That is odd.

You got me stumped on this one. I have 356 M of RAM on my Tibook and although the file transfer itself is a little slow under SMB, I never took a hit on another OSX app at the same time.

Maybe your network is clogged;) I'm grasping at straws on this one.
The good news is that Apple is rumored to be fixing smaba for OSX 10.2. This update should make connecting to Winbloze networks much easier.

Good Luck,
SA

Back