Problems detecting DHCP settings

austinc

Registered
I just moved and am trying to get my old imac to work on a new network at a friend's apartment under OSX. The network is all routed through one guy's computer, but OSX keeps getting the DHCP settings wrong (or not detecting them at all perhaps). I've tried putting the settings in manually with no success. It looks to me like maybe it still thinks it is on my old network?

No luck under OS9 either, though I haven't tried nearly as many things there. I'm on the verge of just backing up and wiping the hard drive. Never had problems getting this computer on a network before but my brother did have problems when he moved his computer from one network to another too. Knowledge base search didn't turn up anything useful. Anyone have an idea?

Dear AustinC

You can try this method.

1. In MacOS X, goto the system preferences and click on the Network icon.

2. In the location tab, select "New Location" and give the new location a name.

3. Click on the "Show" tab and select "Active Network Ports". This brings up a list on possible network ports that you machine can use to communicate with another machine. Deselect all the ports that you won't be using.

4. Once done, you should just have the one port, in most cases, "Built-in Ethernet". Once this port has been selected, fill in the TCP/IP settings as per normal.

5. Once done, select the "Show All" icon at the top, then select "File > Quit". This will save the settings. Don't click the "Close" window icon. I have had trouble with this in the past. Doing this way, the settings are saved properly.

6. Do a restart and select the right location once the machine is ready. Hopefully, the settings are save.

Hope it helps.

I wish it were that simple- I've tried exactly as you describe and many variations on it to no avail. This morning I even tried dumping all my network prefs and starting over (or at least, the network prefs I could find).

Deat AustinC

Did it work, dumping all the preferences? I gather from the short response that it didn't.

Strange situation you have here.
A long shot I know, but what about trying creating a new user? From that, you have a new set of preferences. If it don't work, then you know that it must be a preference in the root Library (ie MacHD/Library/).

Sorry I can't be more help...

:(

Back