Problems Playing Music With Iphoto Slideshow

dbfair

Registered
I can't play any music from my iTunes library in iPhoto 4.0.3 (4H2) slideshow. The music selection pull-down window shows the iTunes library and playlist songs, and I am able to preview them with the triangular "play" icon button to the left of the search box, but whether I select a song or not (for when I want the entire playlist to play), iPhoto just hangs with the spinning color wheel.

I can play slideshows with either of the two tunes in the "sample music" folder, but not anything else.

All the songs I have in iTunes are from imported CD's - nothing downloaded from the iTunes website.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: iMac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0

I didn't find any answers to similar questions with a site search. I did create a new iPhoto library, and also rebuild the disk permissions. Neither had any effect. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Doug

Is the music you want to play located within the same folder as the sample music? Maybe that is not necessary, but it works for me. (If you already know how to do this, please ignore the following instructions.)
1. Control-click on iPhoto's icon
2. From the contextual menu, choose Show Package Contents
3. Open Contents: Resources
4. See folder named Music inside the Resources folder
Drag your own music into this folder. The entire list of music choices should show up next time you want to add music to your slide show.

Patrish,

Thanks for your help. I was able to move songs to the sample music folder, but unfortunately, I had the same problems. The two original songs played fine, but the new song I added wouldn't work. I could preview the song, but when I hit the slideshow button, iTunes would still just hang with the spinning color wheel.

I have subsequently been able to use other downloaded music (e.g., from the cnet download site) with no problems in a slide show. I've accessed it from the "iTunes Library" pulldown, and didn't need to move it to the sample music folder. I wonder if this is a problem with music read from CD's in general, or maybe the specific CD's I used.

hey dbfair,
the same thing happened on a friend's iMac today.
I'm not at his house but I have been thinking about it.
Did you try going under the advanced menu in iTunes and "convert selection to ACC" ? Just try one song and see if that one shows up as a playable song.
Appreciate it, and if it works let me know.
I've got a hunch it is a problem that occurs when updating iTunes...
rf

Back