Problems printing PDF, produces blank paper with only drawings

boyfarrell

Registered
Hello,

When I print certain PDF to paper I result in a page with no text! The only think the that is printed is symbols and figures (even the text on the figures doesn't print!).

I have tried re-saving the PDF, and also saving as postscript then re-printing, all doesn't work. The only success I did have was by saving the whole PDF as a JPEG, and printing the picture!

I ended up e-mailing a friend with a windows computer and it printed with no problems. This seems to be a MacOS problem (or MacOS printer driver problem). The printer I am using is a Lexmark C532. My computer is G34 powerbook running Leopard, 10.5.2.

Anybody had this before?

Dan.

Last edited:

When I print certain PDF to paper I result in a page with no text! The only think the that is printed is symbols and figures (even the text on the figures doesn't print!).

You don't say how you created your problematic PDFs. However, all PDFs are not created equal. Far and away, the best way to create a PDF is the original way. Print your document to PostScript. Then, use Adobe Distiller to distill the PostScript to PDF. At any rate, problems like yours can sometimes be solved by printing the PDF as an image.

Last edited:
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the original; it is a conference paper. Preview says the file was created using Distiller 7.0 from a word document. It also mentions something called PScript.dll which I'm guessing an adobe postscript library?

However, I have many file that work just fine and they have the same stats, so I don't know why this one doesn't work.

... Preview says the file was created using Distiller 7.0 from a word document. It also mentions something called PScript.dll which I'm guessing an adobe postscript library?

PDF's generated from Windows have a bad reputation. It appears that using Adobe software to create them doesn't help much. If you have a link to the conference paper, then I can take a look at it. I don't know if I can fix it, but I can try.

You could also open the pdf in illustrator, change fonts to outlines and then resave as a pdf. At least you'll keep all vector information intact; though recreating a pdf from a ps file would work too.

Back