Problems Viewing Network Shares

viperice

Registered
Hi,

I am very new to Mac, I have alot of Linux (mainly Gentoo ;) ) and Windows experiance being a Technical Engineer but i have never used Mac. I stared using my iBook yesterday, so far so good, everything is going well! Well except one! Trying to view my network shares from my server using the "finder" I think its called! (The main browser) i get this error:

The alias "Oasis" could not be opened, because the original item could not be found.

(Oasis being my server)

And i get three optionsl:

"Delete Alias"

"Fix Alias"

"OK"

Clicking "Delete" I get the error:

The item will be deteted perminantly blah blah.... I click ok and it says:

Operation cannot be completed because i dont have suffecitiant privilages for "Oasis".

So i then click ok, i tried deleting /Network/Home/Oasis myself in the terminal (This is how i do all my Linux system administration as it is so much easyer :) ). I got basicly the same error so after many problems i figured out how to "su" so i did that and tried again but got the same error (Very confused at this point!!) So im now all out of ideas! Can someone please give me any advice?

Thanks,

Ben.

I'm no expert in this, but I had a similar problem trying to get to a Windows shared folder, and I had to fiddle with the authentication credentials. Try, from the Finder, selec the Go menue, then Connect to Server (Command K), and play with it frm there.

viperice said:
Hi,

I am very new to Mac, I have alot of Linux (mainly Gentoo ;) ) and Windows experiance being a Technical Engineer but i have never used Mac. I stared using my iBook yesterday, so far so good, everything is going well! Well except one! Trying to view my network shares from my server using the "finder" I think its called! (The main browser) i get this error:

The alias "Oasis" could not be opened, because the original item could not be found.

(Oasis being my server)

And i get three optionsl:

"Delete Alias"

"Fix Alias"

"OK"

Clicking "Delete" I get the error:

The item will be deteted perminantly blah blah.... I click ok and it says:

Operation cannot be completed because i dont have suffecitiant privilages for "Oasis".

So i then click ok, i tried deleting /Network/Home/Oasis myself in the terminal (This is how i do all my Linux system administration as it is so much easyer :) ). I got basicly the same error so after many problems i figured out how to "su" so i did that and tried again but got the same error (Very confused at this point!!) So im now all out of ideas! Can someone please give me any advice?

Thanks,

Ben.

This is a bigger issue than it first seems.
I've had a number of Win XP PC's on a small network hooked up with a Mac (OS 10.4.3, G4 Dual 1.25, 2 Gig blar ....) for a while now and it has all (file sharing) worked faithfully up until recently (No recent changes to either platform other than MS hotfixes/updates).

The Web has many discussions with Mac OS X.x And SMB, a lot stating out with/in the above way but fade out without the real problem addressed.
The main thread appears to be an on again off again issue(s) with Samba/SMB, OSX 10.x and password encryption.

From what I’ve read on the WEB, people have had various and varying results with clearing keychains, using the terminal only, typing paths differently in the finder etc.. Meanwhile Apple has repeatedly attempted and self reported to have resolved the issue with each subsequent Tiger incremental update.

I'm running 10.4.3 .... and its back ... suddenly!
Does anyone know the real problem and or the real fix?

PS. All basic steps like both firewalls off etc have been covered.

I'm having this problem with the alias to fix since I'm on 10.4.3 ... all was perfect before but now I can't connect to a specific machine on my network.
This is a Win 2000 Server, although I can access to a Win 2003 server and some machines in Various OS (2000, XP, OSX, Debian ...)

Back