Problems with Eye Strain

mjc

Registered
I've got a two month old 24" iMac, the newest model. I called support because I've been having constant headaches for the last couple weeks and I'm almost certain its because of the monitor. They told me that there is no way to change the refresh rate on the computer...so am I out of luck? I considered the possibility that I sit too close to the monitor, which also might be the problem. Any tips?

Sitting too close to it could be one of the issues. What other type of lights do you have on your workspace?
Is the room dark? How close do you sit? Do you keep the display well lit or dim? If it feels bright, it is possible to change the colors to negative in system preferences (accessibility), perhaps that could be worth a test for a few hours if it makes any difference.
Is your chair comfortable? Does your neck get sore? Is the air conditioning not enough or excessive? Did you use before this mac on this same desk something else that didn't give the headache? Is it possible to try this mac on another physical desk, or with a different chair, or with different lights in the office...?
I know many questions. But many options for reason too...

I had a 16" iMac for about 5 years, and this new one is in the same space as the old one was. The chair isn't really the issue I don't think, lighting isn't really an issue either. I'm gonna move some stuff around and put the monitor farther away from the chair, might help some. I already changed the brightness down to the lowest setting and it didn't do much, but I'll try the negative colors and see if anything helps.

I found out of the box my iMac was way too bright. It wasn't a refresh issue but a "burn your eyeballs out" issue.

I use freeware Shades to adjust the brightness, which helps. As I work with visual design, a $90 screen calibrator (spyder2express) also helped get the colors/brightness to a comfortable level.

I recommend starting with the built in calibration tool in display preferences (color), then try shades.

You might go see an eye doctor. Perhaps your vision has changed slightly and is causing your headaches - or perhaps you have something more going on. I would tend to look for a medical reason, vs a hardware issue.

Back