Problems with ftp Server

JonasMW

Registered
I have set up the ftp server included with os x . The home directories for users are all working, download works, noone can go above their home directory(which is a good thing) - but noone can upload anything. I have checked and checked the privileges and they all seem to be correct. The problem appears to have something to do with the fact that if you try and upload something to /web/orkanix (web being my hdd and orkanix the home directory of the user in question) the error (which is number 533) usually includes the path /orkanix/orkanix which doesn't exist. I did at one point manage to fool the directories into working properly by renaming the alias in the folder /library/ftpserver/ftproot from orkanix to web (as orkanix is my share point) - that stopped the users home directory settings from working.

What am I doing wrong? It's probably something obvious as I'm new to OS X server.

Thanks for reading.:)

I assume you used the ftproot file to set it up so no-one can go above their home directory. In that case, it actually treats the home directory as the root "/" directory. So, lets say you logged into an account with a home folder in /Users/organix, then you logged into that account, /Users/organix would become /, and Users/organix/myscript would become /myscript.

So, I'd suggest you start by checking carefully exactly where your folders appear now by logging in using FTP from a command line client and explore your file system from that point of view. Doing this should help you get the file structure straightened out.

Where is the ftproot file? How do I edit it and what do I put in it?

Also Where do I config the file to tell FTP to direct different domains to (Liek Virtual Hosts for Apache)?

so if I have ftp,domain1.com go to /folder/domain1
or have ftp.domain2.com goto /folder/domain2

????

Thanks

The ftproot file I was referring to was /etc/ftpchroot and contains a list of accounts that will "chrooted" when logged in over FTP. That is, their home directory will become the root directory and they will not be able to go above it.

You edit this file by entering sudo pico /etc/ftpchroot in the terminal. You put in the short user name of each user, pressing return after each one. As in:

billgates
stevejobs
toothfairy

(Thanks Jadey for the info)

As for different domains, I really don't know.

Back