Problems with HP PSC1410 all-in-one

kingtj

Registered
I just spent the last 2 days trying to help out a client with his G4 system and an HP PSC-1410xi all-in-one printer/scanner/copier.

He's running OS X 10.3.9, and I already did a complete uninstall of the HP printer software and re-installed from the latest .dmg image downloaded from their web site (a Jan. 2006 release).

The problem is, after the drivers/software finish installing, he has a lot of difficulty printing from Classic-based applications (such as Illustrator 5.5 and Photoshop 4.0). It seems like immediately after installation, we're able to print a page from one of these apps without an issue, and I'm able to scan into one of them from the "HP Director" software too. But after that, something goes wrong. Subsequent attempts to print from Classic result in the print job disappearing into thin air, never to show up in the Print Manager queue, a total freeze of the Classic environment, or the system reporting that the device wasn't found on a USB port.

If I stick to strictly OS X based software, it seems like printing is fine, but after one of these print issues occurs in a Classic-based app, OS X often acts like it's unable to see the printer again until we reboot the machine.

I even went so far as to do a full re-install of OS X, and still, this keeps happening to him. Has anyone else had similar headaches with a psc1410? I'm really starting to think it's just a case of poor printer drivers from HP and he may not really achieve reliable printing and scanning without buying something else. But that's not the answer he wants to hear. Suggestions??

Back