Problems with iChat & Rendezvous

Yves

Registered
Situation:
-2 G4 computers both with two ethernet cards
- one hub connected with a cable modem and both G4 computers
(IP adress with DHCP) to access internet
-one private network with a hub connected with both G4 computers (IP adress entered manualy)

Problem:
iChat can't find the other computer with rendezvous. If I turn off the network cards that connect with the cable modem, rendezvous finds the other computer. Is there a way to let rendezvous look over the private network and not over the hub with the cable modem ?

My question is why are the computers set up like this to begin with?

You should be able to do everything through the hub used to connect to the internet.

It is my understanding that rendevouz will automaticaly find the rest of the mac's on your subnet. I am in a university environment where the Dorms, where I reside, are on the same subnet as some university staff. I see the web development department show up and I chat with them over rendevouz quite frequently. There are quite a few hops in between us.

Check out your network stats to make sure these computers are on the same subnet.

My internet provider gives me ip by dhcp and I need a network with a static ip.On one of the computers WEBDAV is installed.If the IP adress is dynamic I have to look it up first before I can connect to it.That's why I use a private network with static IP adresses

ahh, ok. I understand now.
I'm not sure if you can just set rendevouz to look over the internal network first. I think it's a system wide setting you would have to change.

If you always have both machines on anyway you could always use one as a proxy for the second. That way they should be able to find each other.

One computer as proxy for the other? How do you accomplish that ?

Is there also a way to set up a firewall-rule to set up rendezvous to communicate with the private network?

Back