Problems with iTunes sharing Rendezvous...

senne

Registered
Hello,

i have 2 Airport equiped computers, both running Mac OS 10.2.5 and both have iTunes 4.

My problem is that i can't share music with the computers..... A lot of people have been saying that i have to open the port 3689. But where do i "open" that port? (i really have no idea!!)

I have tried it under SysPrefs>Sharing>Firewall, and than added port 3689 to the allowed list, but that doesn't do anything..

I also tried to add port 3689 in Port Mapping in "Airport Admin Utility", but that doesn't do anything either.. (see attachment). But what do i have to fill in there? What for public port, and for private port? And the rest? (i'm aksing too many questions:rolleyes: )

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5
ohyes, i also can't listen to other people's music over the internet...

The playlist in iTunes shows up for 1 second (without any music) and then disappears

There's something that can happen to hamper a machine's ability to stream music in iTunes -- that's as far as I've gotten. There are a lot of radio stations I can't open; I can't play the track previews in the new music store; and I can't tune into anyone's shared libraries.

I turned off my firewall and HTTP proxy just to see, and I've tried and failed all of these things on many different networks now; so it seems to be a config problem on my side.

Anyone else had any experience with these problems?

i can open all the radio stations, no problems with that. But i still can't play shared music..

I can open almost all the radio stations, so I don't think it's the same problem. But when I can't get one to stream, the behavior is the same as when I try to access someone's shared list or play a preview in the Music Store: it looks like it's going to work for a split second, and then all the sudden it acts like it forgot what it was trying to do -- I'd love an error message here.

* Shared Playlists: Progress window says "Opening [shared list name here]..." for about half a second, then stops.

* Radio station: Progress window says "Opening [radio station name here]..." for about half a second, then stops.

* Music Store track preview: click play, button registers (turns blue) for a sec, track information loads, then nothing. Stuck on 0:00, with the play button still indicated in the controls (instead of, say, pause or stop, which would indicate that it thought it was playing something).

That's all advice about enabling sharing on your own machine. Others can stream my playlist without problems -- I just can't open any connections myself.

Sorry ... :(

I'll try to help though ...

Does streaming work between your own macs at home? You can tinker with the settings of both parties there and elaborate from that ...

Could it be that the playlist you tried to connect to required a password? Try some more (check out http://www.itunesdb.com/ for servers) or try to use a program like ServerStore ... maybe that will help/give clues ...

You can ask a friend to mail you the URL of his shared library, just to make sure the setup of the server is correct ...

Senne,
Is Telenet your ISP by any chance? In that case music sharing will only work if you turn of the obligatory proxy server in network preferences. This worked for me (in addition to opening the proper port in my firewall), I just can't listen to streamed music and surf the Net at the same time :mad:
Getting a bit fed up with Apple's refusal to deal with the proxy server issue, half of all .mac features don't work either. I'm thinking of switching ISPs but that would mean going ADSL.
Hope this helps,
Mm.

PS Goed om eens een landgenoot tegen te komen op een Mac forum. Belgische maccers zijn een uitstervend ras geloof ik ;)

Back