Problems with meta tags...

martinatkinson

Registered
Hi,

I have submitted my site to the search engines and have gotten it listed in a few. However, when I look at my listing in the search engine it does not respond to the meta tags I have in my page.

For example, take a look at www.excite.com and do a search for "www.amazingyardsale.com" You will see that there is no description under the URL.

Now, take a look at www.amazingyardsale.com and look at the meta tags in the source. Maybe there is something wrong with my tags?

My site is a dynamic PHP site where the header and footer are seperate files and are grabbed by the content page. Maybe this could be the reason for the problems?

Any help is appreciated!

Albert

Looks like you've got way too many keywords. Search engines, I've heard, ignore that many.

As for the description, if you've added these meta tags more recently, it will take time for the search engines to become "aware" of them. And they all have different schedules and policies.

where is the best place that describes the correct way to create meta tags? I'm making a meta tag creator and so many sites have different kinds of tags. What's legal and what's not?

Err...any you see are pretty much legal. Heh, actually pretty much any tag you make is legal, there just has to be something around that knows what the tag is for, or it's just a waste of space.

Hmm... the W3C (http://www.w3c.org) may have a list of tags.

But if search engines wont accept more than x number of keywords, that's important! That's what i meant. ;)

I would assume that any search engine worth its salt ignores the keywords or even activly penalizes them. I remember a day when they were used and useful but too many scum bags just lie with them that they are not relevant any more.

-Eric

Back