Problems with OFFICE vX

Zeal

Registered
OFFICE vX PROBLEM (posted again as it will be lost in the other thread)
I have noticed a problem with Office vX (Service Release 1 installed). It began 2 days before I upgraded to Jaguar, but still persists even after the upgrade.

For some reason, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage all take ages to quit properly. At first I thought they had crashed, because when I clicked on their dock icons (they still had the triangle underneath them) it said something like "Not responding", but approximately 30 seconds after quitting the little traingle would finally disappear.

Every now and then they do shut down properly, and when I notice it and restart them and then quit again the problem pops up again. If one is playing up then the rest of the named apps do the same too. It does not affect MSN Messenger or Internet Explorer 5.2.1.

So I uninstalled Office vX and reinstalled it again, set up all my preferences etc, and the problem still occurred. Any ideas......?

Also, can anyone tell me what the "Microsoft Database Daemon" is? It's in the "Login" preference pane. Should it be activated or deactivated? What does it do?

** Zeal

----------
Apple PowerBook G3 2000 (Firewire/Pismo) 400mHz : 384 Ram : 30GB IBM Travelstar (with the fluid dynamic bearing - whisper quiet)

- Have you installed the service-pack for Office V.x?

- Have you got plenty of memory and free hard-drive space? It might be having trouble cleaning up as it shuts down if the hard-disk is nearly packed.

- Pre-binding might be shot. Try opening a terminal and entering "sudo update_prebinding -root /". This will churn through the files for a while and fix the library associations.

Yep, SR1 installed, as per my post.

384 MB Ram.

2.5 GB free hard drive space on 1st partition - 1.5 GB free space on 2nd partition.

Used System Optimiser X 3.1.1 to do the prebindings thing. Ran it before and after I uninstalled/installed Office v.X. Have defragged and optimised my HD's too.

Anything else you can think of please let me know. As I said, my system is working fine, but it's a nuisance to have to wait for these Office apps to shut donw (eventually) before I can do a restart or switch it off. :confused:

Tanks - Zeal :)

Back