Problems with path and manpath regarding Fink and X11

vikingshelmut

100% Bull Plop
So i've recently installed fink again on my 10.3 install, and I have been playing around with various cool tips for running X11, and have come across two different problems, both related.

1) If I evoke "echo $PATH" from Terminal.app, it lists the standard directories, but it does not list any of the X11 directories. Therefor, when I try to run say Xnest, bash reports "command not found". If I launch X11 and run "echo $PATH", it reports the same directories, but also has the directories for X11, so that while in an xterm, if I try to run Xnest, it works properly.

2) If I try to read a man page for again, Xnest from within Terminal.app, it does not find it. But if run from an xterm within X11, it displays the man page properly.

I realize that X11 is probably reading the file /sw/bin/init.sh, which has all the paths set properly. Why doesn't Terminal.app read the same file, and set the paths correctly? Is there some way that I can get them both to setup the same PATH and MANPATH variables for both X11 and Terminal.app?

Forgive me if this makes no sense, but any help is appreciated. I can post more info if clarification is necessary.

Create two text files in your home directory:
.bashrc
.bash_profile
(I assume .bashrc already exists.)

Put the following command into .bashrc:
. /sw/bin/init.sh
(I assume it is already there.)

Put the following command into .bash_profile:
. ~/.bashrc

Hope this helps :)

Back