problems with startup graphicscard/motherboard

Greystroke

Mr. Wizard
See if any of you guys can help me out and save me some money.

The other day when I restarted my computer it froze during the start up. (the gray screen with the apple and spinny thing) a prompt came up at the top left saying something like

sh*02
monitor uplink at 10mbps
link is down
montior uplink at 10mbps

if i didn't restart it just kept cycling through that. I connected up a different monitor this one a 17" flatscreen and it did the same thing, the other was sony 17" crt (the one in my sig). I don't have access to another graphics card to see if that would be the problem and don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't solve anything. Could it be a problem with my motherboard? or is something just screwy and i don't know how to fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated. The specs of the comp are in my sig if you have any questions on the type of computer...

Was it an actual prompt, or just a notification? Did you try booting into single user mode (hold Cmd-S at startup) or safe mode (hold down Shift)? Try holding Cmd-V (to display the UNIX startup code) and tell us what the screen says if/when it freezes.

You could also try starting up the computer with an OS CD. Insert the CD and hold down the C key.

Use the Disk Utility to check over the hard drive. If you have the Hardware Test Cd, use that.

I tried uding the Hardware Test CD and it just di the same thing.

Here are my results hope this can help you and me out.

Using Command-S: this isn't everythig just what thougt looked suspicious

Couldn't Alloc Class 'NVDANV10(zero)HAL

From path: "/pci@f 2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f0000/disk@0:5,\mach_kernal", waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOPathMatch</key></string ID="1"> IODeviceTree:/pci@f 2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:5</string></dict>

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files, run '/sbin/fsck -y' first and then '/sbin/mount -uw/'
sh-2.05a#

that last line is what has been appearing at the top left of my screen during startup after it freezes...

Using Shift (safe-mode):

sh-2.05a# Ethernet(UniN): Link is down.
UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 10Mbps - Half Duplex
Ethernet(UniN): Link is down.
UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 10Mbps - Half Duplex

:repeating:

Using Cmd-V:
stuff that looked interesting

Reboot Failed - serious errors
** /dev/rdisk0s5
** Root file system
** Checking HFS Plus Volume
** Checking Extents Overflow file
** Checking Catalog File
Invalid Extent Entry
(4, 15961)

I have no idea what could be causing this at all...thanks for the suggestons and all your help. I would really like to save what is on the HD but as a last resort I'm willing to reinstall jaguar

What did you install or do just before this happened for the first time?

Use the Jaguar CD(use the CD to start up) and do an archive install. This will save your home folder and all your documents. Make sure you run disk Utility before you do the install.

Well i did pull out my graphics card, i forget why now. but my computer has been acting funny ever since I installed Quicktime 6 and iTunes 4. After I installed Quicktime 6 it completely wiped it form my computer, all internet plugins still work but I am not able to use it from a file on the HD. I bet a program i installed to convert avi's is the culprit...

Thanks for all your help btw...

Someone else posted a thread with a problem very similar to this (did you see it?). I wish I knew more about UNIX so I could read that code.

No I didn't see that thread...any idea what the name of the thread was?

Any ideas on how to mount my disk...I try to install and it asks to select a destination disk...no thing shows up :(

I use disk utility verify and repair the disk (which is grayed out btw. I do Cmd-m to mount it, it seems like it does something but then the disk is still grayed out...

well i went ahead and took it into my university's comp. department, we have quite a few mac heads on campus so i trust they will be able to fix it...

thanks again

Originally posted by Greystroke
well i went ahead and took it into my university's comp. department, we have quite a few mac heads on campus so i trust they will be able to fix it...

thanks again

...Are you able to boot your Mac from Jaguar CD1?

Can you boot your Mac into Single Mode (aka Unix Command Line) by using command(apple)+S keys during startup?

Can you boot your Mac in Safe Mode by using the SHIFT key during startup?

Have you installed your Mac's latest firmware? Check if the one which is inside Jaguar CD1 does the work...

Did you try to reset the PRAM?

Did you disconnect ANY peripherals other than keyboard and mouse?

Did you try to remove all the additional hardware from the inside? Like additional RAM, SCSI controllers, etc?

Let us know what gives... :cool:

nah it wouldn't let me do any of that...

but it is taken care of. seems that i had some bad ram in there..i have no clue how it got in there i have a bunch of old ones lying around, i bet when i was trying to max out my capacity with what i have i accidently replaced some good with some bad. nice expensive mistake... :( so ihave to get a new HDD, good opportunity to uprgrade from a maxtor 5400rpm 60gb to a Western Digital 7200rpm jb 120gb also goingto throw in another 512mb of ram. so overall expensive but i'll be happy to get it back in awesome working condition...

Back