Problems with Terminal (Newbie)

skoggis

Hi!

This is propably going to sound very stupid to all you Unix-gurus, but...

When I start Terminal, it tries to automatically connect to my email account using ssh.

It says following:

ssh -c 3des -2 -l myusername address -p 22

I have used a quick control-c to abort the connection, but this is getting really annoying. Can anybody suggest a way to eliminate this? I'm an old mac user but very new to Unix. I'm learning...

Tnx in advance:)

In your home directory, type 'sudo pico .login', then enter you password, use the pico editor to remove the command you don't want and save the file

There is no .login file in my home directory. Using the command you provided just makes Pico create a new empty file. Could it be located in somewhere else?

Tnx

.CFUserTextEncoding
.lpoptions
.DS_Store
.mplayer
.MCXLC
.ssh
.sversionrc
.Trash
.user60.rdb
.Xauthority
.appletviewer
.xftcache
.java
.jpi_cache

sudo pico .ssh gives me an File read error...

.ssh is a folder which contains details of machines that you have ssh'd into and added to your list of known hosts

What version OS are you running, it appears to be different between 10.1 and 10.2

Also, check the Terminal preferences, as it is possible to set a command there that will run when each new terminal window is opened.

Originally posted by symphonix
Also, check the Terminal preferences, as it is possible to set a command there that will run when each new terminal window is opened.

Terminal preferences says that it executes something from /usr/bin/login.

I tried to sudo pico login in the /usr/bin directory, but I can't understand the file. There's nothing that says ssh, only some symbols and letters that don't make any sense to me:(

That is a binary file, you cannot edit it, but that should be fine, that is what mine runs on startup, and mine is also running 10.2.4, I will look into it and let you know if I find out what it is.

Unless someone else solves it first

Originally posted by skoggis
When I start Terminal, it tries to automatically connect to my email account using ssh.

What I don't understand is that since somebody must have this configured once why can't you just ask her how she did that?

Terminal just opens a shell (you can configure which one - by default it is tcsh). This in turn normally executes the global /etc/profile script on startup. Have you had a look into /etc/profile yet? It is a text file and can be edited with sudo pico as you did before with other files.

Sorry everyone...

Why did I think that problems with terminal had to be solved using terminal.

All I had to do was to delete file com.apple.Terminal.plist from my library/preferences. And wohaa, no more connections in terminal startup.

I feel so stupid right now.

Tnx for everyone who contributed some expert knowledge.:) :)

Back