Processor Performance switching thingy.

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
i've googled long and hard for this. is there a menubar app that will let me switch my processor performance from Highest to Reduced? i probably go into apple > system preferences > energy saver > options > Processor performance > reduced/highest twice a day and it's just tedious... Automatic is rubbish.

i can't have it on full the whole time as the fans just don't know when to shut up, but i need the full performance sometimes when i'm rendering things.

any ideas?

If you add the battery monitor to the menu bar it is in the drop menu associated with that. I don't have access to a battery-free mac at the moment to figure out how to get it up there for you.

The closest I've seen is a Dashboard widget called "Turbo". It's pretty ugly, though, and hardly as convenient as having it on the menu bar.

I don't understand, what is missing from the built in functionality. Am I misunderstanding the question?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 11
To get to the battery menu, try here:
8601045140.png

I don't think you can use the battery menu item on a desktop machine. I can't use it on mine, anyway, even though it's in my CoreServices folder.

It shouldn't be too hard to create this functionality yourself with a little AppleScript magic, though. Create a script to change the setting, and put it in your AppleScript menu. If you don't have an AppleScript menu, you can enable it in AppleScript Utility (/Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility).

Something like this ought to work (note that this is completely untested, since my machine does not support "reduced" power mode):
Code:
do shell script "pmset -a reduce 1" password "insert_your_admin_password_here" with administrator privileges
That should turn reduced mode on. Create a second script with "reduce 0" in place of "reduce 1" to turn it off. Drop the scripts in your scripts folder (open it from the AppleScript menu), and that should do it.

If you're not comfortable putting your admin password in an insecure place like an AppleScript, you can take out the password bit and it will prompt you. (There might be a way to do this that doesn't require admin rights at all, but I don't know it.)

Back