Program to Mute Other Programs

jakecaptive

Registered
Is there a program or such that I can use to "mute" other programs, such as Safari? That would prevent it from playing sounds from Flash sites and the like. Generally Safari shouldn't make sounds so I just want to cut it off for ever.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

'Generally Safari shouldn't make sounds so I just want to cut it off for ever.', is not a valid statement. Generally, any current web browser (such as 'Safari', 'Camino', 'Firefox', 'Mozilla', 'iCab', 'OmniWeb', Opera', 'Shiira', etc.) supports a variety of graphic, sound, and video formats. One such video format being '.swf' files - also known as, 'Flash' files.

A web browser interrupts the HTML code of the visited web page. If a sound, graphic, or video file reference is embedded within a visited web page's HTML code, one will then experience such.

'Is there a program or such that I can use to "mute" other programs, such as Safari?' ... 'Is that possible?', yes and yes - it (the application you seek) is built in every MacOS X release. 'System Preferences' 'Sound' utility. Click on the 'mute' check box.

You could also use Audio Hijack to hijack Safari's sound output, and then you can mute the app's output.

Neither of those are good solutions.

I'm with the poster: a good site should never rely on audio. I have iTunes playing all the time, and I HATE a site deciding that it should just PLAY music.

There should be application-specific audio controls, and a third party program that could do that (and not have to remain open like Audio Hijack does) would be very cool.

Back