Programs crash if alert window left open too long...

SQinAZ

Registered
The Problem

It doesn't matter what program I am using, if a window opens up to notify me of something and I don't hurry and click a button, the program crashes. This is irritating, to say the least because, as I am learning OS10, I have to read what these alert windows say.

It happens in all programs: Adobe CS programs, Quark 6.5, BBEditLite 6.1, Safari, etc.

I looked in the system preferences to see if there was a default setting for how long an alert window stays open, but didn't find anything.

Yes, I already searched this forum, but didn't see my specific problem.

Tech info

Mac G4, 933mhz, 1GB RAM, running OS 10.3.9

Just bought this computer, used, because it was much faster than my other two G4's. Also moved me up from OS9 to OS 10.3.9. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the original OS disks. So I haven't run the repair preferences in Utilities because I am wary of doing that not starting up from a boot disk.

OS 9 is not installed on this computer, and I'm not running Classic Mode (obviously). All software loaded is for OS 10.3.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

How often are programs crashing?

what are some sample error messages you are reading when the applications crash?

If you are a new mac user, you might enjoy knowing that Command Shift 3 will take a picture of your screen for later reference.

SnapNDrag is nice freeware that helps with screenshots as well.

The best thing you could do is to buy a retail copy of Panther (10.3) or Tiger (10.4) and reformat the drive and install the system fresh. Always the best thing to do when you buy a used machine.

You don't know what problems the machine may have been experiencing before you bought it.

That is a bit drastic. an Archive an Install might be a less destructive method of getting a clean[er] system.

I would certainly troubelshoot this more before reformatting a computer...

In view of the above, you might as well try Repair Permissions. It won't do any harm.

That G4 will happily run Tiger so you might as well upgrade, rather than buying Panther.

Thanks all.

1) All windows notifying me of something and wanting me to take action cause programs to crash if I don't make a decision and click a button in a relatively short period of time. No time to take a screen shot because I don't know that the window is going to cause my program to crash. It's not always Dreamweaver, but this morning, Dreamweaver 8 notified me that it wasn't set up to work with my BBEDit. I was reading the options before clicking anything...and the program crashed. Basically, any window that pops up in any program requesting me to take some action...if I don't make a decision and click one of the option buttons within about 3-4 seconds, the program crashes.

2) Yes, I need to get a retail version of this program, but the entire system was reformatted and the OS reinstalled before I got the computer. This is the only problem I've experienced since I started using the computer 1 1/2 weeks ago. (Other than the quantum leap from OS 9.1.2 to 10.3.9. Yowza!)

3) I don't want to upgrade to 10.4 yet...not until I have managed to update all of my software. I need the ability to run in Classic mode in the meantime. It's too big of an expense to update all the software that I use regularly all at once.

4) I will try repair permissions and see if that helps. I did use the check permissions this morning, and there are few items that it wants to fix.

That is a bit drastic. an Archive an Install might be a less destructive method of getting a clean[er] system.

I would certainly troubelshoot this more before reformatting a computer...

Personally, I think bobw's method is better. You don't end up with the crud from the previous owner. Even if she did an Archive and Install, she would still end up with all this other space being used by files from the previous owner. Plus, who knows if this person installed a maliscious app to run in the background such as a keylogger or something else.

If she owns all the applications that she's using, then there's no need to keep the previously installed system from another user, especially if it's exhibiting all these problems. Also consider if it's worth keeping the OS of someone who should have provided the OS with the system but didn't....you have to question what a person like this might have stored on said computer. Better to be safe than sorry and start fresh.

Repairing preferences appeared to help. After doing that, I opened several programs and just left the information windows up there for 30 seconds or longer...tempting them to crash the programs. And no crashes. Yeah!!!!

Working this morning, I still haven't had any crashes yet. Thank you all for your input!

Back