Programs freezing up

burlador11

Registered
I've been having a problem with some of my programs freezing up (the nonstop pinwheel) and requiring me to force quit them. I had the issue for a while and everything from iPhoto to System Preferences to RealPlayer wouldn't allow me to use the menu commands - when I tried they would freeze. The problem went away, but now it seems to have come back.
Any suggestions on some system maintenance? Your help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: OSX 10.2.8

Assuming you are running panther (10.3.x) I would suggest you to first repair the disk permissions (open Disk Utility). Repeat this process as long as no error is reported. If that didn't help, add a new useraccount. Does any of those problems also appear on the fresh account?

Ehmm, maybe not really. You will need to boot into your jaguar DVD/CD to run Disk Utility. Jaguars Disk Utility doesn't allow you to repair the startup volume..

Zammy-Sam said:
Assuming you are running panther (10.3.x) I would suggest you to first repair the disk permissions (open Disk Utility). Repeat this process as long as no error is reported. If that didn't help, add a new useraccount. Does any of those problems also appear on the fresh account?

No luck with disk utility. Creating a new account would be great but the new account option is freezing as well every time I try to create a new one.

I am having the same problem.
I am trying to install Quark, or Photoshop, or the MacOSX.com Help.app utility... or even running some system prefs... and the program freezes up, gives me the neverending pinwheel, and I have to force quit.
I booted from the Mac OSX 10.3 install disk and ran disk utility on my drives - it found some problems, but fixed them all. I am still having the same problems - nothing has changed.
I don't think it's a RAM issue - I have never had this sort of problem before... and nothing has changed recently.
Please help!!!!!!

Thanks,
Jon

Back