Proxy server keeping Mail from SENDING!

konakazi

Registered
Our network guys just set up a proxy server at work.

Now my Mail app can receive but cannot seem to send.

Any fixes? Our tech support is mighty slow.

Thanks!

have you tried using the domain name or ip of the proxy server as your smtp server? it's a bit hard to give suggestions without more info -- for instance, to be able to surf, did you have to change the proxy settings under System Preference/Network/Proxies? -- is your company running its own SMTP server or are you using your ISP's SMTP server? -- as a test: open Terminal.app and type the following command:

"telnet your.smtp.server 25"

for "your.smtp.server", use the domain name you were using before the proxy was installed -
what kind of output does this command give you in terminal --

it really depends on the kind of proxy server they've installed, so i'm afraid that to some extent, you're gonna have to wait for those tech guys --

Hey there! Thanks for responding.

In order to surf, the tech guys did change my proxy settings in my System Preferences and in my browser.

When I spoke to a technician yesterday, he told me that the company is reserving the SMTP address for it's own Outlook Exchange Server and is actually discouraging personal email use.

Being the "rebel" that I am, I would love to find a way around this.

In the Terminal.app I get:

"Trying XXX.XXX.248.14...
telnet: connect to address XXX.XXX.248.14: Operation timed out

Unable to connect to remote host"

To your suggestion, I tried typing in the DHCP Client ID that is in my Sys Pref, as well as in my Explorer Proxy window, but it doesn't get anywhere.

Thoughts? :)

they seem to be blocking port 25 and since this is the standard SMTP port, there's not much you can do about it --
are you sure that using the company's SMTP server doesn't get you anywhere?

also: i suppose the ip address in your post, is one of your companies' -- first of all, i hope your tech department doesn't read these posts, since they might not be so happy about you giving away their ip address -- but, we're all nice people here, so, we won't do harm -- anyway, i guess that means that your company is concentric.net -- why don't you try one of these domainnames as your smtp entry:

buckpalace.concentric.net
mailhost.concentric.net
franklin.concentric.net
beasley.concentric.net
morse.concentric.net
overflow.concentric.net

just make sure you're not violating company policies, ok?

if all this fails, the only option would be to find an SMTP server that accepts mail on another port than 25 -- most proxy servers don't block ports over port 1024....

hope you figure it out --

good luck

Back