Psion or Palm for Mac OS X?

ziess

Registered
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advice about running pdas on Mac OS X. I've never really used on before but i've decided that now is the time to get one and i've found a few I like the look of. The only problem is that the one that fits my needs (note taking, a bit of word processing, calendar and to do etc.thats all, i've already got an iPod...) down to a t -the psion 5MX - isn't being made any more (but ebay solves that one) and, apparently, lacks mac support.
I've also found a few Palm's and Psion Revos for about a similar price to the 5MX's on ebay but i'm not sure if these suit my needs as well.
As far as i'm aware i'll need some method of hooking up the serial-based 5mx (keyspan and belkin make adapters) and a software solution for copying files and (hopefully!) syncing calendars and address book entries etc.
Also, an indication of a fair price for any of these/similar units or alternative units that I might be better served by would be great as well.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Tommy.

Psion's are a bit old now, I'd go for a Palm (I did last week) or a PocketPC. If you take a look at Missing Sync at www.markspace.com you'll see they support a lot of PDAs. I used the list of supported machines there to decide which one to buy.

I then strolled down to Dixons in York and picked myself a Tapwave Zodiac2 and it works great with my new Mac mini.

Hope this helps.

Go for the Palm. It's better supported under OS X and you won't have to rely on 3rd party apps as much.

I don't fancy the MS pocket pc route, I've tried it and I think it's crap.
What sort of (cheap!) Palm would you recommend?
Will I be able to write all over the screen (a la Newton) or will I be resticted to a 'Graffiti' box at the bottom of the screen if I go Palm.
And, will the Palm 'do' word processing as well as I remember the Psions doing it (i'm not too worried about the keyboard, but I'd like to be able to write a bit more than shopping lists!)

I'm fairly happy with my Zire 31. But I'm just a very light PDA user and don't use it for anything heavy like word processing, etc.

You might want to take a look at the Tungsten range. The T5 looks very cool, and I think it may allow you to write on the whole screen, instead of restricting you to the Grafitti area.

Anyone got any experiaence of running a psion (revo) on OS X) because it looks like that's what i'll get.

Back