Public Folder

pwain

Registered
Hello,

I have 2 Macs which are used by two different persons.

One person (computer 1) place some files in the public folder of the other person (computer 2). This works perfect. However when the person on computer 2 wants to move those files from the pulic folder to something else (Desktop,...) the Mac asks for the administrator password.

It doesn't always ask for the password. It's really strange.

Can you help me how to disable that pasword check?

We are using Leopard on both Macs.

Slightly guessing here...but do the files that raise the password request contain an application, an action or a macro?

Maybe those files were added ACL or they still show owned by the previous owner. What does the information say about the ownership of these files?

Have done some other testing.

I've created a folder on mine desktop (test). The permissions of that folder where:
-me : read and write
-staff : only read
-everyone : only read

Then I started iTunes and moved some numbers from iTunes to the newly created folder. All those MP3's had the same permissions. Then I copied those to the public folder of the other Mac.

Now I'm using the other Mac. I've noticed the new map (Test) in the Public folder. When trying to move that folder to the desktop I have to enter the administrator password.

Now I did exactly the same but with iPhoto and without creating a folder. So I just moved some photo's from the iPhoto library to the deskop and placed them in the public folder of the other Mac. When working on the other Mac and trying to move those photo's from the public folder to the desktop it worked without entering the password.
When looking to the permissions of the photo's they did exactly had the same permissions as the test with iTunes.

Note: We're both administrators on the Mac.

Back