Purchasing First iPod

Ragnes

Registered
I would like to buy my first iPod soon. I would like one that is simple, sturdy, and easy to use. Inexpensive is also good. I am only wanting sound; I don't need a screen. I imagine the 1 GB of space on the iPod shuffle will be sufficient. This is for surgery recovery time, so I don't want hassles.

I have some CDs I would like to transfer to the iPod. Some are music, but most are the spoken word.

I have a couple of related questions.

1. Is the iPod shuffle sturdy, simple, and easy for someone not used to such "modern" technology? Or is there a better choice?

2. How do I find out if I can legally copy the music or spoken words from the CDs to the iPod?

I know these are really basic questions, but I appreciate any help or advice that others are willing to give to me.

Thanks,
Ragnes

1. Is the iPod shuffle sturdy, simple, and easy for someone not used to such "modern" technology? Or is there a better choice?

The shuffle is great, but if you listen to Audiobooks you might find the Nano, with its screen, slightly more useful as you will then be able to switch concisously between listening to music and back to your audiobook - especially if you are playing audiobooks you've ripped from CD using iTunes.

You see, downloaded audiobooks have a tag on the file that tells the iPod/iTunes to remember the last point that track was up to when you go back to it. This is great, because you won't have to search for where you were up to. You can also turn this option on in iTunes before transferring the tracks across to your iPod: just select the tracks of your audiobook, choose File -> Get Info, and set the "Remember Playback Position" to Yes.

Since the Shuffle will respect this tag, it'll pick up the book again where you were up to, but without a screen there is no easy way to find the book again! You'll have to go "click. Nah, thats a song. Click. another song. Click, hmm, song again. Click. Ahh, there we are."

2. How do I find out if I can legally copy the music or spoken words from the CDs to the iPod?

If you legally bought the CD, or if you have a legitimate copy in your posession (even if it is just borrowed) you can legally copy it for your own use. The only time you'll need to be concerned about the legal impact of copyright is if you were to distribute that to anyone else.

I agree with symphonix. The shuffle is a great device (and fashion statement), but if you've got a lot of audiobooks to go through, you're better off having a simple screen. The metal Nanos are lovely, sturdy iPods; I really like them.

Getting all your music/audiobooks over from iTunes is ridiculously easy. You can find every option you need in the preference pane of iTunes (iTunes menu: Preferences).

Shuffle all the way if you don't need the screen. If you do, then the nano would be the way to go.

To put the same thing in other words...

The shuffle is okay UNLESS you need to somehow _choose_ what you want to listen to. Since I basically think that covers _everyone_, I always suggest the cheapest iPod nano. The screen really gives you a *LOT* more control.

Thanks to all for replying here. I had been thinking of the screen only for watching movies so that is helpful for me to know. I'm also glad to know how to download the file so that I can more easily return to the spot I was at. That's real helpful to know.

I would like to ask a follow up question about copyright. If I purchased a CD, can I copy it onto the iPod and then loan the iPod to a family member?

Thanks,
Ragnes

To put the same thing in other words...

The shuffle is okay UNLESS you need to somehow _choose_ what you want to listen to. Since I basically think that covers _everyone_, I always suggest the cheapest iPod nano. The screen really gives you a *LOT* more control.

This is true. I haven't used the Shuffle but I believe you're basically required to configure it solely through iTunes. You don't have the flexibility of just selecting a song to play like you would with the nano or any other screen-based iPod. That's one of the reasons I preferred the cheapest nano over the Shuffle.

I would like to ask a follow up question about copyright. If I purchased a CD, can I copy it onto the iPod and then loan the iPod to a family member?

Yes, just as easily as you could loan them the CD.

I don't see why everybody would want to play videos on the iPod, it's really just to small of a screen for me, that's why the iphone is nice.

I don't see why everybody would want to play videos on the iPod, it's really just to small of a screen for me, that's why the iphone is nice.

Because if the feature weren't there, somebody would complain about it. Just like Braille at ATMs.

The iPod video is the only choice for watching movies if you don't have an iPhone, and since it drains battery power, you'd rather use your iPod, than your phone which you'll need. Also, if you're on the airport waiting for your flight or in the train or anywhere else, and you don't have a place to load your iPhone, you can just get the iPod out, find the movie, plug in your headphones and play! Otherwise you'd have to get your laptop out, turn it on, then find the app, bla bla bla, then turn it off, then put it away etc etc....
So the iPod video really is the only option, since you can load it literally anywhere, and it's not a big deal if the battery is empty, since it's anyway just a device for your digital media. With the iPhone, that's a completely different matter.
Also, the quality is really good and since they made the screens really bright, you can also see the movie properly.

I enjoy watching video podcasts and Google Video on my iPod in the morning when I don't feel like lugging my laptop bag. Besides that, the iPod has a very large hard drive for a mobile device.

Back