Put Postfix in startupItems?

Matsaki

Registered
I am trying to find out how I can put Postfix in the StartupItems so it will be booted at every new startup.

I am not a UNIX guy so if some body can help, please have that in mind :)

Thanks!

Get Postfix Enabler. One click enabling of Postfix :) Easier than doing anything with the command line.

Oh, I didn't notice you were running Tiger. I guess I'll be searching for a way to do this next week as well. Hopefully there's an update to it soon.

Cant you just go to System Prefrences, Accounts, 'your account', Startup tab and drag the app to the list?

note: 'your account' would be clicking your account name on the left pane of the account prefrences window.

Postfix is an SMTP server running in the back ground regardless if someone is logged in or not.

I guess they must have changed the format of startup items. I'd copy one of those and modify it to start postfix in stead.

I found it. First log in as root:

% sudo -s

and the run:

% echo "/usr/sbin/postfix start" >>/etc/rc.local

I think that that solution may be ok for now but you might want to look into launchd as well in Tiger.

It seems this is the new way Apple is going to start programs on boot as well as replacing cron with it.

Items you want to start are stored in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/

I think you would just put the correctly configured plist file in there and it'd start Postfix at launch.

Captain Code said:
I gave that a try but postfix didn't start. Do the permissions on the file have to be exact?

When I first posted the link, I was missing the "RunAtLoad" key which requests that service to run when launchd loads the config file. Stefan Schumacher pointed this out to me, and it is corrected now.

cheers,
ben

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't work for me at all.
Here's my org.postfix.master.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>org.postfix.master</string>
	<key>Program</key>
	<string>/usr/libexec/postfix/master</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>master</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

It looks the same as what you have.
Permissions:
ls -l /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 423 May 6 00:22 /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postfix.master.plist

Still doesn't work. Even on more than one computer. I don't know what's wrong because my plist file is exactly the same as what you say to use.

Back