Putting a E-hub behind a Switch, hanging off a DSL modem?

Vard

Looking for progress
Need a little education...

Right now I am running my QS2002 (X.2.8) out of a switch that is connected to a DSL modem with a buil-in router. I have two more systems (one running X.2.8, the other 9.1) a moderate distance away. I have already run one ethernet line to their general location running out of the switch and would like to avoid doing it again.

Is it possible to attach an ethernet hub (and hub only, no fancy switch or router) to this line and then attach the two other systems out of the ports on the hub? Would the addressing get all messed up?

Not sure if I have given all the information one needs to answer this...if there is something missing, let me know.

Thanks,
Eddie

The short answer is yes, you can do what you want to do.

However, it may be a little tricky...lots of hubs act differently than one another, especially older hubs. But, for the most part, you would plug the ethernet wire into the port label "uplink" on the hub. This port allows you to use a straight-through cable to connect to hubs, switches, etc.

If this port is not labeled, it is usually the last port (i.e. port 5 on a 5 port hub). If it still does not work for you, look for a button on the hub labeled "tx/rx" and try changing its position.

If none of the above works, you can allways use a cross-over cable to connect it.

I hope this helps.

Back