QBasic?

Da_iMac_Daddy

Not-so-Neo-DumbA$$
I'm going to be attending college starting next monday and my Intro to programming class is based around QBasic. I've had some experience with Basic for my calculator so I'm not worried about that but is there someway to write and test the code on a Mac?

Thanx in advance.

The easiest way would be to run a PC emulator such as VirtualPC (commercial) or Bochs (Open-source freeware) which will allow you to run the QBasic program.
QBasic was included with MS-DOS versions 5 onwards, and Win95 onwards. If you ask around in the right newsgroups, etc, you might be able to get hold of QuickBasic which was the REAL version of QBasic with compilers, etc.
The nearest Mac equivalent these days is RealBasic, which bears as much resemblance to QBasic as a warehouse to a doghouse ;-)

hehe... I am taking a programming logic class theis fall. We are going to start with QBasic also. Then we will move on to M$ Visual basic. oh yeah! ;) :p :(

Yikes, that's old... I'd be a bit nervous abuot such a class. QBasic was cool in its day - ask any old-timer about the horror that was GW-BASIC - but now I'm not sure it if it would do more harm than good nowadays.

Specifically, QBasic doesn't do object-oriented programming or event-drive programming, whose wide-spread adoption was arguably the two most important developments in development over the past decade. Most of the intro classes I see around now start with VB because it's actually more user-friendly and the new developer can get something running immediately, which gives them a feeling of empowerment.

It'll take quite a teacher to make a good tool out of QBasic, IMHO. But don't take this as discouragement - go for it! Just be aware of the odd way your instructor's doing it.

we are not there to learn languages... we are using QBasic just to learn the logic behind programming.

Back