Quake 3 loses prefs

NielZ

Registered
Everytime i start Quake 3 again it lost its prefs. So my name is back to Unnamedplayer, my key settings are gone and the 'rotate' speed with the mouse is back to veeery slow. How can i fix this?

What version of quake are you using? I assume you are playing in osX (based on the messageboard :D).

In Quake3 for osX, your configuration file should be saved in the ~/library/application support/quake3/baseq3/ folder (where the tilde refers to your home directory)

ie my username might be crunchy, so my q3config.cfg is located at

/users/crunchy/library/application support/quake3/baseq3/

Ok so now that we know where its supposed to go, do you have one there? If not have you ever fiddle with permissions settings on your hard drive at some stage (like accidentally hitting the 'copy these privilege settings to all enclosed folders' button)?

If you hvae a q3config.cfg file there, but you're still getting your settings reset, then copy that file (make sure its unlocked), and open it in textedit or bbedit or whatever you have handy for simple text operations.

Change your settings in that file and save it to the application support/quake3/baseq3/ folder with a name like 'mysettings.cfg' for example.

Make a new text file in your text editor and enter the line 'exec mysettings.cfg" , then save this text document in the application support/quake3/baseq3 folder also, this time give it the name autoexec.cfg (must be named this).

Now when you start quake3 for osX, it should read the autoexec.cfg file in the application support/quake3/baseq3 folder, and run your mysettings.cfg configuration. And you're all set.

If you use mods however, like osp, or threewave or whatever, you may find you need to drop down the console while playing, and type in /exec mysettings.cfg to manually execute the settings file you just wrote yourself, so that it works for that particular mod.

Good luck!

Back