Quake III Arena

Not exactly a frag-a-holic, but i do enjoy blowing the crap outta wierd species on saturdays.

And UT is better. :p

Back in the day (about 9 months ago) I was the best, and getting better. than I just stopd. If I play now, well lets say I wont be much of a chalenge. But if you want to play just say somthin'

Bah, UT is inferior, and I can give you reasons, but I'd rather not take the time at the moment ;)

I play the Navy Seals and Threewave mods for Q3 most every day.

UT is good too, I think...although only under 9...under OS X its seems kinda slow...but still a fun game!

Ok, let's not get a UT-Q3A battle brewing here. Here are the advantages/disadvantages of each:

- Unreal Tournament has awesome weapons, lifelike bots, and wonderful & varied levels, but its graphics aren't great, it runs like crap on older machines, and it's slow to load.

- Quake 3 Arena has outsanding graphics & engine, low(er) system requirements (UT v. Q3 on a G3/233 w/16 MB VRAM @ 640x480: Q3 runs much better), and it loads quickly, but it's pretty much all the same, the weapons are generic, and the bots aren't as good as UT.

If UT ran well on my computer, I'd play it a lot more; as it is, I play the Q3 demo more (though not recently).

It's funny that this thread was started. I just popped in my Quake III and UT cds last night and started playing against bots to see how bad i've become. If any of you want to get together sometime, I'm all for it.

I used to play Quake III Arena (the demo) a lot. I found it fun, easy to play, and I rapidly reached Hardcore mode against bots.

I knew Unreal Tournament before starting Quake III. All of a sudden I stoppped playing Quake III because I was pretty bored with the demo and got back just to Unreal Tournament (not 2003, but former version).

I can't imagine a better game. It's beautiful. It runs extremely smoothly on my G3/500. It's varied, imaginative, and can get pretty hard in may levels/occasions. I just love it.

But still, I'm very much like Trip: I frag only 30 minutes, afeter I finished some big Quark project :D

Originally posted by dixonbm
It's funny that this thread was started. I just popped in my Quake III and UT cds last night and started playing against bots to see how bad i've become. If any of you want to get together sometime, I'm all for it.

Hey! Im up for it! Hm..does anyone here have enough bandwidth to spare to host a Q3A game? Hehe...I have DSL and know thats not enough (I've tried before):p

Hahah you guys are comparing BOT PLAY as an aspect of game quality? I play Q3 almost every day for an hour or two online, versus people far more skilled than any bot. I played UT for 18 months. UT has serious issues with weapons and physics. Quake 3 PV has some issues, but the mod I mainly play (3wave) uses CPMA. It's awesome. Give it a shot.

And don't think that playing bots in a demo in any way shows the true quality of a game. There's a reason why Q3 is used in tournaments and UT isn't.

Haha...UT tourneys can pay up to $25,000 while Q3 is around $10,000. But they're both great games, really.

Anybody interested in helping out with an macosx.com official quake3 tourney? PM if so.

I seriously would love to have a Q3A tournament...but we gotta find someone whos willing and who has enough bandwidth...anyone here fit that bill?:p

Really? I've heard about Gameranger alot, but never bothered to really know what it is. Does Gameranger do that?:p

Depends on what you want to do... I've been a member of Gameranger for years, and I know pretty well what it's about. It's for chatting with other Mac gamers and for connecting to each other to play multiplayer games. You could host a tournament game through Gameranger's service, though you still have to host the game on your own computer.

What are you looking for for this tournament? Do you want someone to host, or do you want to set up a LAN? I'd be willing if I knew the details, and I could talk my parents into it.

You can always join up with someone that has a fast connection though, is all I mean. I usually play Ghost Recon on there, as of late. Pretty nice service and no 'pay to play' rule :D

Back